babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Transmission Problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. it often fails to downshift soon enough, resulting in what seems to be a strain on the engine. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. When approaching a stop, the transmission does not disengage until the last second (similar to what would happen in a manual transmission if you forgot to depress clutch until last second). The car also vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D". Is there a software update that would fix this problem?
Year of car? 2012? I recall there was/is an update on the gasoline/auto trans combo in the States. My 2013 does seem to "lug" a bit when I'm doing "hilly" driving, but I almost always run in Sport mode to avoid this -- and it's the best mode for the car anyway, IMHO. I do not get the vibration though.
How many miles have you driven your evoque? Did you have the ECM update? I've noticed that problem only after the ECM update. Worst update causing pinging and crappy gas mileage.

We are going back to summer blend gas so that might change. Not sure just know that I haven't been very happy since the update
(14-04-2013 06:30am)slee18 Wrote: [ -> ]How many miles have you driven your evoque? Did you have the ECM update? I've noticed that problem only after the ECM update. Worst update causing pinging and crappy gas mileage.

We are going back to summer blend gas so that might change. Not sure just know that I haven't been very happy since the update

Have the timing checked?
It's a 2012. I'll check on ECM update when I take it in for annual inspection next week. The vibration when in "park" is not a big deal, but the lugging is very disconcerting in a luxury vehicle. The vehicle simply does not downshift soon enough. I've tried running in "Sport" mode, and while that helps, it does not solve the problem. I'm surprised that more people haven't complained about it in this forum. Car and Driver Magazine (January, 2012) said the following: "the trans doesn’t like to downshift, meaning the driver has to toe deep into the throttle to find some boost. Dive too deep, though, and you’ll get a downshift that, paired with all that boost, jerks the car abruptly forward. We found it was easier to stomp hard on the gas to get a downshift and then feather the throttle to hold onto the lower gear while staying out of the boost. Not fun."
Sounds like it should go back to the service bay asap before you do any damage to the gearbox. Have you tried disconnecting the battery to reset the gearbox memory? Must admit the diesel does have a much smoother gear change than any of the petrol engined Evoques I've been in. Maybe the heavier flywheel and flatter torque curve that helps and that's no use to you guys in the USA.
It really does sound like your timing is too advanced. But, that may be a result of the "fix"?
(14-04-2013 12:40am)RVA Wrote: [ -> ]My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. it often fails to downshift soon enough, resulting in what seems to be a strain on the engine. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. When approaching a stop, the transmission does not disengage until the last second (similar to what would happen in a manual transmission if you forgot to depress clutch until last second). The car also vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D". Is there a software update that would fix this problem?

I have the exact same issue with a 2013 build.. I brought this up with the dealer several times. Then an ECM update was done. This was supposed to adjust the air intake? for very humid days apparently. It did alleviate the issue by I would say by 60%. I still have this strain on the engine and it is the number one issue that i don't like, no, I hate about the Evoque. The dealer says that the engine/trans was designed this way to save on fuel. Well they did a p... poor job in the design. I love everything else about the car.

Would I buy another Evoque? Nope. Would I like to have my 2010 Portfolio Jag back? In a heart beat, but with AWD. Or, a Ford Escape with EcoBoost, of all things. I tried a rental in Florida for 4 weeks and l liked it. I would say even loved it considering its 50% cheaper. But then again, it does not have the pizazz of the Evoque look.

Well, 31 more months with this lousy design, or problem they can't fix.
(14-04-2013 12:40am)RVA Wrote: [ -> ]My Evoque often seems to be in the wrong gear. it often fails to downshift soon enough, resulting in what seems to be a strain on the engine. It is most noticeable in city driving at low speeds. i routinely find myself using the paddle shifter to downshift. When approaching a stop, the transmission does not disengage until the last second (similar to what would happen in a manual transmission if you forgot to depress clutch until last second). The car also vibrates when stopped with transmission in "D". Is there a software update that would fix this problem?

Some time ago a Toyota landcruiser I had displayed exactly the same symptoms as your car. The transmission was reluctant to disengage when stopping. It needed a new torque converter. All done under warranty, fine afterwards.
(18-04-2013 03:45am)tonydina Wrote: [ -> ]I have the exact same issue with a 2013 build.. I brought this up with the dealer several times. Then an ECM update was done. This was supposed to adjust the air intake? for very humid days apparently. It did alleviate the issue by I would say by 60%. I still have this strain on the engine and it is the number one issue that i don't like, no, I hate about the Evoque. The dealer says that the engine/trans was designed this way to save on fuel. Well they did a p... poor job in the design. I love everything else about the car.

Would I buy another Evoque? Nope. Would I like to have my 2010 Portfolio Jag back? In a heart beat, but with AWD. Or, a Ford Escape with EcoBoost, of all things. I tried a rental in Florida for 4 weeks and l liked it. I would say even loved it considering its 50% cheaper. But then again, it does not have the pizazz of the Evoque look.

Well, 31 more months with this lousy design, or problem they can't fix.
Not sure, but are you Canadians running only the petrol motor like we are in the States? If so, and I were you, I'd have two things checked: battery condition and ignition timing. Not sure of the Evoque tranny is user adaptive (some input user driving habits) but you might try "getting on it" more often. I run my 2013 (which is perfect, BTW) in Sport mode most of the time as that's really the mode the engine was designed to run in. I onlly put it in D when I'm on a freeway. But even if I run it in D, it's great.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's