babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Trade in or wait for a D4?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I could use the advice of some people who are more familiar with LR and depreciation figures than I am. I'm thinking about selling the Evoque and replacing it with a Discovery 4...

I absolutely love the Evoque which is why it is such a hard decision to make. Nothing beats it in the looks department and I've had zero issues with it. Mine is now about 9 months old and has around 11000km. Looking at the price they go for and the very good deal I can have for a new D4 SDV6 HSE with some extras, it would be just a swap. As in a zero-zero operation, just trade it in.

The reason why I'm looking at the D4 is because right now the Evoque is ok but in the next few years we will probably have a second baby and then it would be too small. We do regular 10hr trips to visit family. The RRS was also an option but from the leaked pictures I don't really like it. I prefer the previous model which my dealer told they are not producing anymore. The FFRR is beyond my budget.

This deal that I could have is only valid for the next 3 years, since it is job-related. Another option would be to keep the Evoque for 2 more years (end of warranty period) and then buy a D4 (or D5?). This would of course mean that I'd have to pay extra since I won't get as much for the Evoque.

Am I wrong in looking at the D4 as luxury Defender 110? Lose a little bit of utility in favor of a lot more luxury and comfort? The reason I ask is because next to the Evoque my absolute favorite car I ever owned was a Defender 110. For different reasons of course but I consider the D4 as something in between.

So what would you guys do? Trade it in now for a D4 at no cost or wait 3 years and pay some extra? Does anyone know what's in the pipeline for the D5 (2016?) maybe? Did anyone switch from an Evoque to a D4 or vice versa and what are your experiences? Does anyone know what's different about the D4 X-Edition apart from it being 7500€ cheaper?
I went from a D4 to the Evoque because we wanted something smaller. Go for the no cost option, the D4 is truly a great car and we loved ours. Also heard a rumour that the Discovery is going to be axed.
I doubt the discovery will be axed, there is an updated version being winter tested. The Disco is a good seller, what LR need to do is make it more affordable to families and leave Range Rover products for those who want the high life.

Go for a D4 it does everything a defender can do with more comfort.
I had a pure for a short while which I loved, but I bought it as someone else's cancelled order, and sold it as I thought it was too much to spend on a car without the options I wanted. I also had issue with the fact my kids couldn't see out the back.
Our main car is the d4 hse and my wife and I love it. We've had it for 3 and a half years now(got it when it was 1st launched) and apart from having the rear camera replaced under warranty when we 1st got it(camera was showing a reversed view), we've had absolutely no problems with it. It's a true luxury family4x4, to the point that our friends who have got a FFRR wished they'd got the D4 instead as it provides far more interior space for the family. The 3rd row of seat are good for adults too. I can quite easily sit in them on a journey, and I'm 6ft3.
A d4 hse cost significantly more than an Evoque over here, so if you can do the swap at no cost, I'd do it. There's no way you'd get my wife to part with our D4 for an Evoque as a family wagon.
Fuel economy is about 30mpg as long as you don't keep your foot flat to the floor, which isn't that much worse than the Evoque.
We specced privacy glass as you can feel a bit like being in a goldfish bowl in the back, the windows are so large, but that's personal taste. We also got heated steering wheel, fridge in centre console(wouldn't bother), factory fitted removable towbar) and full size spare wheel with alloy(a must at £180 as cheaper than buying just the tyre by itself)
The spare tyre is held in place under the car by a winch operated from the boot. Thieves can use a bolt cutter to cut the cable holding your tyre in place, and take your tyre and alloy. Not only do you then have to buy a new tyre and alloy, but a whole new winch system too, so if you do get one a D4, I'd invest in getting a wheel protector for your spare.
As I said, my wife would want to replace our D4 with a new one, but the price over here since we bought ours at £44k is now £54k for our spec, so putting it out of our reach.
Good luck with your decision
Another vote for the D4 as a good car. It is a great family wagon, very comfortable and as capable as the Defender if you need it to be.

I went from a 2010 D4 SE to a 2011 Evoque SI4 because I didn't need that much space and while the D4 is an excellent motorway cruiser, it wallows too much around corners on tight, twisty roads for my liking. The Evoque was much more responsive and a 'sporty' drive in comparison and I really liked it too.

But, while the D4 had more space than I wanted, the Evoque proved to have just too little in the end so I took advantage of a very well specced 2012 RRS HSE that I got a good deal on. It has all the toys the Evoque had (dual view, electric boot, sunroof, premium audio, adaptive cruise etc) and thanks to its Adaptive Dynamics, it handles almost as well as the Evoque on tar while having the same pot-hole flattening comfort and off-road ability as the D4. It has more boot and storage space than the Evoque but not as much as the D4. i'd say in terms of luxury, it is a bit better that the D4 - about the same as a high spec Evoque.

The RRS is my preference of the 3 so if you can get one, you'll like it, I'm sure. That said, if space is the paramount issue, the D4 would be best and if on-road performance is your thing, the Evoque is the best. The RRS is a great compromise between the two, having elements of both.
I'm in no doubt that you should go for a no cost exchange for the D4 HSE, (which I've got to say is an incredible deal). You could probably then sell the D4, buy another Evoque and still end up with a profit!
I just trading in my D4 for the Evoque! Simply I wanted better MPG. I loved yes loved my D4 sold it with just under 20K on the clock and never had a problem with it, I lost 7K over two years which I think was OK. I'm hoping my new Evoque will serve me well, I have already noticed a difference on local driving on the MPG and on a long motorway drive this weekend I would say there's not much in it. Whereas the D4 would cruise all day at 70 - 80 and sip at the diesel the Evoque I though at the same speed sipped it a little more (no real figures to prove this but just a gut feeling). It does say I have averaged 32.9 MPG!

As for the straight swap! Personally I'd do it for the hell of it.
D4 is probably the best all round family car on the market today, and think of all the places it will be able to go that only FFRR, RRS and Defender owners can get to as well! D4 can handle amucky kids and dogs as easily as it handles a mucky off road track
I presume the trade in must be by using a French dealership?
I had a D4 for 3 years and 72.000 km, zero defects, no issues, a perfect car.
Very comfortable, you run for thousands of kilometres and never get tired, spaceful (I have 3 children), and unrestrainable, there's no snow, no mud or other that can stop her.
As you can imagine, the only defect is MPG consumption (about 15/20% more then Evoque).
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's