babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Conti Cross Contact uHP Bloody aweful in mud.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
In Seattle we get loads of rain and being foot hills between two mountain ranges and many bodies of water it also quite hilly.

All the trails I've been on so far have been pretty solid and these tyres are just rubbish. I've got a little muddy hill on my land and my 92 scooby wagon gets up there no problem with cheapo tyres and the Evo just gets stuck like its on ice.

Why LR put these tyres on I dont have the foggiest. Maybe they think everyone will stick to the block stuff?

Anyhow some pics to cheer up the thread.

[Image: DSC_2424.jpg]

[Image: DSC_2421.jpg]
I think we have the same 19" tyres (M&S) version. I live up a really steep and muddy 1/2 mile long track and have no issue with the tyres. OK I changed to winter tyres for snow and ice. Other 4x4's struggle, even Defenders with the wrong tyres. Several cars back I had an Impreza, and that really struggled!
My local LR Experience Centre has a Freelander 2 with Conti Cross Contact UHP 19 inch tyres and it copes perfectly well with the current muddy conditions we're experiencing in the UK.
We have become an automatic society. Everything is supposed to work, skill be damned.
I don't think these are M+S, I believe that would be the 4x4contact conti's. My auto offroading skills are minimal I admit. Though I have done a lot of track racing and lived in canada driving in snow for months. Also do a lot of trails on a heavy ADV bike.

I think these are more for on road performance wet/dry than anything else, Which They do really good at. But It's not my priority for this car.
(17-02-2013 02:23am)Easty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think these are M+S, I believe that would be the 4x4contact conti's. My auto offroading skills are minimal I admit. Though I have done a lot of track racing and lived in canada driving in snow for months. Also do a lot of trails on a heavy ADV bike.

I think these are more for on road performance wet/dry than anything else, Which They do really good at. But It's not my priority for this car.

I hear you, and I was just being annoying. I'm originally from Vermont so love driving in ice and snow, and used to road rally in the winter, though I have not taken my Contis up into it yet. However, I do read of plenty of others complaining about them. I understand our car is FWD balanced. Wonder if some of the other "road-modes" would shove it toward a more genuine 4WD? Your car looks great, BTW (just like mine!)
Hence the nickname "Craptinentals" this tyre fitted to the Evoque is a summer road tyre in 20" issue. The sips get clogged very quickly and turn the tyres into slicks
LR probably assume 99.99% of evoque's will probably never see mid especially those on 20" wheels hence the slapdash choice of tyres. I think I've been lucky that my two cars had Pirelli and Goodyear both M+S from the factory.

The loan prestige I had with craptinentals was useless the one time i drove it on mud and the "Special Programmes" had a complete meltdown.
(17-02-2013 09:46pm)WB Wrote: [ -> ]LR probably assume 99.99% of evoque's will probably never see mid especially those on 20" wheels hence the slapdash choice of tyres. I think I've been lucky that my two cars had Pirelli and Goodyear both M+S from the factory.

The loan prestige I had with craptinentals was useless the one time i drove it on mud and the and the "Special Programmes" had a complete meltdown.

In the states the Dynamic comes with 19" style 3 wheels. And the conti 255/35/R19 . Don't get 20" wheels on this car, except for looks.
(16-02-2013 08:28pm)Easty Wrote: [ -> ]In Seattle we get loads of rain and being foot hills between two mountain ranges and many bodies of water it also quite hilly.

All the trails I've been on so far have been pretty solid and these tyres are just rubbish. I've got a little muddy hill on my land and my 92 scooby wagon gets up there no problem with cheapo tyres and the Evo just gets stuck like its on ice.

Why LR put these tyres on I dont have the foggiest. Maybe they think everyone will stick to the block stuff?

Anyhow some pics to cheer up the thread.

Wet muddy grass is like ice. Very few multi purpose tyres will grip on this stuff. Very easy to slag off a particular make of tyre when you havnt done a direct comparison your self on in the same conditions
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's