babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Hello and first bit of help needed by forum experts.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi there, I've been lurking around here for quite some time and finally got around to registering!

I've now had my white prestige lux SD4 for about a month.

First off, I absolutely love this car. Drives fantastic, handles like a dream, looks fantastic, turns heads, great set of gadgets to play with, seems like good build quality etc. Also, FANTASTIC in the snow and a great feeling as you pass all those Merc and Beamer drivers Ner Ner Great stereo as well. I can hardly fault the car, all except for:

smallish boot compared to what I had before (I knew that before I bought it so don't mind). And why doesn't it shut with the remote! Evil
MPG could be better but it makes be drive slower I suppose (I'm desperate to see 40mpg).
Sat nav is a bit clunky and frustrating and not really that intuitive, especially POI. I think they could really improve the nav.

Now for the bit of help needed. I've got a small irritating rattle coming from the top front centre of the roof. It's almost like there's a wire or bit of metal resonating against something at certain speeds. I can't work out if it's coming from the shiny, rectangular black thing that looks like a case for your sunglasses (I have no idea what that actually is!) or from the panel that contains the roof blind switch.

Either way, it's starting to really get on my nerves. Does anyone know how to remove these covers to expose what's underneath? And is it easy? Or is it a take back to the garage job?
A rattle from the overhead console is a known issue - caused by the electronic modules up there rattling - the solution is to have the dealer drop the console and the have the modules wrapped in foam - my departed Evoque was done in the dealership by the OEM that manufactured the console for LR.
Do the above fix yourself, it takes a couple of minutes. I have documented this on the forum before but cant remember which thread it is in. Try doing a search
(12-02-2013 01:10pm)speary Wrote: [ -> ]Do the above fix yourself, it takes a couple of minutes. I have documented this on the forum before but cant remember which thread it is in. Try doing a search
I think this is what you need to read
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Fixed-Rattles
The shinty thing that looks like a sunglasses holder is the transmitter for the white fire wireless headlhones
Thanks guys.

So to be absolutely clear....where exactly do I stick the screwdriver in?

I can get my fingers in under the wireless transmitter and pull it slightly away from the roof lining, but I'm scared to pull too hard in case something snaps. Does it just pull out.

And as for the console where the blind switch is....does the screwdriver go between the roof lining and cream outer plastic OR between the cream outer plastic and the inner black plastic?
Wavy day, I had the exact same issue and followed speary's instructions (well almost, I removed from the side nearest to the windscreen first, which is the harder way) and after sticking some foam up there, no rattles.

You should wedge out the side facing the interior of the car first, just stick a plastic spudge in one of the corners and wedge it out (if your really have nothing else, screwdriver will do but be careful to not damage the rooflining / console itself)
(13-02-2013 06:58am)berlin2011 Wrote: [ -> ]Wavy day, I had the exact same issue and followed speary's instructions (well almost, I removed from the side nearest to the windscreen first, which is the harder way) and after sticking some foam up there, no rattles.

You should wedge out the side facing the interior of the car first, just stick a plastic spudge in one of the corners and wedge it out (if your really have nothing else, screwdriver will do but be careful to not damage the rooflining / console itself)

If its anything like mine, then its the 'cassette' that winds the Pano roof blind back and forth.
To fix it, the first attempt prescribed the foam and tape that has been referred to already in this thread.
The risk is that its not the cassette and is actually a warped head liner - Now there's a repair worth reading about.
Ok, just thought I'd report back just in case others have a similar problem.

First off, the wireless headset transmitter (the thing that looks like a sunglasses holder) simply pulls out with no damage to anything and goes back in easily. But that wasn't the cause of the problem rattle.

So I used a dinner knife to lever the centre console off. The knife needs to be inserted at the edge of the cream plastic, between the cream outer plastic and the fabric of the roof. You need to do this bit by bit on each of the corners that are closest to you and the passenger. DO NOT try the other corners by the winscreen. It's hard to explain but the way the console fits in means you have to lever from the part nearest your head FIRST otherwise you could snap the two lugs by the windscreen.

Anyhoo, once I removed the console, it was dangling via a loom and I inspected it closely and found nothing obvious. So I fiddled a bit with some of the wires and placed them in a slightly different position and replaced the console. Guess what...no annoying buzzing rattle anymore so I reckon it was a wire buzzing against the roof.

I haven't put any fom in there but if the rattle continues I now know how easy the job is.

Thanks all for your help.
Are any of these wiring looms in the Evoque foam covered? On my (2004) BMW x3, every single wiring loom inside the car is copiously covered in foam wrap, which means that it doesn't buzz or rattle. Seems an obvious solution which has clearly been used for many years by other premier marque manufacturers.

Very worrying if LR just g the cheap route and install bare plastic cables.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's