babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Ed4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had a test drive at the weekend of an sd4 and asked the salesman some general questions about the models in the range..Pure, Prestige and Dynamic. Then onto the engine choices and I was surprised that he failed to mention the ED4, so I asked about it and he stated that the dealership hadn't sold a car with this engine choice and tried to dissuade me from going in that direction.

Well ok, from an unbiased perspective I can see the benefit of the more powerful SD4 engine and the 4x4 with TR system and if I'm correct these are the differences from the ED4, on the other hand if I'm using the car for town and motorway driving with no offroading the ED4 seems a suitable option to be considered and not discounted offhand.

The dealership didn't have the ED4 to check out, so rang another dealership and had an even more offhand response when asking if they had one to test, suggesting it was like buying a 1.0L fiat from a Ferrari dealer. Ridiculous, I think he was serious but I couldn't help laughing at his analogy, he didn't seem pleased.

Find it hard to understand why the model has been sold (or not) in this manner. It can be suitable to many people.

Has anyone had this experienced before?

Cheers
Never experienced sales like this, but i bought the TD4 which is basicly an eD4 with 4wd, which LR has since dropped, and was £1k cheaper than the SD4 manual. I'm sure the eD4 will be a good enough machine for yor lifestyle and if you are seriously interested in a 2wd Evoque I'm sure there will be a dealer that will welcome your order.
I've ordered an ED4, and there seem to be plenty of other ED4 owners on this and other forums. I have no need for a 4WD but I loved the Evoque so had to have one so it seemed the sensible option.
The only problem was with the test drive, there were no ED4s available anywhere so I had to drive a TD4.
I haven't decided on which model to go for yet but I was surprised by this attitude. The evoque is suitable for many people and I'd take a guess that most will not take it offroad.
I have an eD4 and it fits my needs perfectly. i don't take it off road and use if for city and motorway driving. I haven't driven any other Evoques so can not compare it, although only having 2 wheel drive it managed the snow over the past few weeks with great ease.
Frankly I don't get the 4WD snobbery that goes against the ED4, people all have different reasons to buy cars, and the ED4 still has some great tech for traction and stability, with the advantage of not hauling the 4WD around with it. Any salesperson not giving it it's due deserves to lose the sale.
It is also supposed to be very good in hard going as well. I think the snobbery comes from some ignorant sales people who feel the Land Rover is a maker solely of 4WD cars. Well these guys need to wake up and realise that LR makes a 2WD version for just the reason that heronB is interested in it, folks don't always want a full on 4WD car, there are tax advantages too for business users and any how can you tell without being a total anorak, it the car you are looking at is the 2WD version or the 4WD version?
I'm positive LR also produced 2wd series LRs for the RAF.
They made one for the general public too, it had selectable 4WD, series2's IIRC
(12-02-2013 02:42pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]It is also supposed to be very good in hard going as well. I think the snobbery comes from some ignorant sales people who feel the Land Rover is a maker solely of 4WD cars.

That seemed to be it completely, LR do make excellent 4WD cars and I've had LR Disco in the past, a great car it was (and is in current guise) extremely versatile, but I think that the ED4 Evoque has its place.
Reference URL's