babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Getting that old feeling back
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Prior to the Evoque, I had driven a few 4x4's (Disco 2, Shogun) provided by work and was pretty unimpressed. Comfy yes but as driver's cars - no.
I still remember the first time I drove an Evoque at the end of 2011 and how different and special it was.
I think most people always remember bringing home the new baby for the first time.
However, only driving the Evoque on a daily basis familiarity can make you forget the difference.
Yes its always special but not like the first time.
I had mine serviced a couple of weeks ago and was given a FL2 as a loaner. Comfy and quite nice and did the job.
It wasn't until I collected mine and drove it up the road did "the difference" hit me again.
After the FL2 this was like a sports car. It just wanted to be chucked around after a day in a "normal" 4x4.
It was nice to get that old feeling back and despite the niggles and weird things it does once in a while it was a real reminder how special this car is.
I also had a loaner Freelander,I quite liked the higher ride but as you say when you get back in the Evoque it seems like a sports car. The Freelander had rubbish brakes too.
'Getting the old feeling back'....... The reason i opened this thread was because i thought this was about the first kiss......Smile
My car was in for service on Friday, scary that it was a 32k mile service at exactly twelve months old, pure coincidence but still scary, did not plan it that way just happened.

They had some other jobs to do so offered me a loan car for the day.

Ended up with a 62 plate freelander sd4 hse auto 1280 miles on clock, this was the new my13 car, very nice car, smooth ride, no squeaks or rattles and quite responsive.

I had about 250 miles to do so was a good test back to back, you seem to sit abit higher than in evoque.

First comparisons plastics and switches not quite like the quality feel of evoque, I can't believe how a car that is so similar underneath could be so different. A lot more under steer and body roll, loved the auto, shame there were no steering wheel paddles, more noisy at speed too, put that down to the more upright shape.

Mixed motorway driving some 75-80mph on motorway 250mles and achieved an average 37.5mpg.

Safe to say got my car back at 5pm, nice and clean, jumped in and set off, my td4 felt like a golf gti, was a really good opportunity to get the love back and realise what a lovely car the evoque is.

Feels much more like a car, amazing steering feel, felt more responsive and the seats of even my pure were great.

Big smiley face all the way home, FL2 nice but Evoque great[/i]
Hey...this is like a good news thread!
what the hell is going on????? Wink
(09-02-2013 10:21pm)Kojak Wrote: [ -> ]Hey...this is like a good news thread!
what the hell is going on????? Wink

I thought it was important to keep our feet on the ground, with any forums you tend to have a lot of the content around problems. Every no and again something special comes onto the market, I remember the the aud ur Quattro launch and that car looked and drove amazing.

The evoque for me is the same, great looks and a strong LR pedigree, anyone who has driven in the snow or covered a lot of ground in bad weather will agree.

For me 32k, two oil services and no other service parts, even the Pirelli tyres are still over 5mm, yes the fuel economy could be better, but I could drive abit slower too Very Happy
(10-02-2013 07:24pm)Westy Wrote: [ -> ]The evoque for me is the same, great looks and a strong LR pedigree, anyone who has driven in the snow or covered a lot of ground in bad weather will agree.

For me 32k, two oil services and no other service parts, even the Pirelli tyres are still over 5mm, yes the fuel economy could be better, but I could drive abit slower too Very Happy

I still need to get winter tyres, but I would like to have a playground to test its abilities without the fear of crashing it. It gives you a comforting sense of security.

I don't worry about fuel economy anymore and it just makes driving the car a lot more enjoyable.
(09-02-2013 10:14pm)Westy Wrote: [ -> ]My car was in for service on Friday, scary that it was a 32k mile service at exactly twelve months old, pure coincidence but still scary, did not plan it that way just happened.

They had some other jobs to do so offered me a loan car for the day.

Ended up with a 62 plate freelander sd4 hse auto 1280 miles on clock, this was the new my13 car, very nice car, smooth ride, no squeaks or rattles and quite responsive.

I had about 250 miles to do so was a good test back to back, you seem to sit abit higher than in evoque.

First comparisons plastics and switches not quite like the quality feel of evoque, I can't believe how a car that is so similar underneath could be so different. A lot more under steer and body roll, loved the auto, shame there were no steering wheel paddles, more noisy at speed too, put that down to the more upright shape.

Mixed motorway driving some 75-80mph on motorway 250mles and achieved an average 37.5mpg.

Safe to say got my car back at 5pm, nice and clean, jumped in and set off, my td4 felt like a golf gti, was a really good opportunity to get the love back and realise what a lovely car the evoque is.

Feels much more like a car, amazing steering feel, felt more responsive and the seats of even my pure were great.

Big smiley face all the way home, FL2 nice but Evoque great[/i]

I'm now entering my 7th day with loan car as mine is having some warranty work done.
My service dealer has handed over a brand new RR Sport HSE Lux ( when I got it, it had slightly more than 800Kms on it).
I feel as though I am being spoilt - its great to drive and turns as many heads as my RRE, but its not MY car.

I'm really pleased to hear that getting back into your Evoque was great - I have a very worried wife who thinks that I'll be asking the dealer for a change over figure for the RRS. Hopefully this warranty saga ends soon and I get back into my car and get the feeling too ! Cheers.
Ahhhhh, the difference with the RRS is the air suspension and the lofty driving position. I've owned two RRS, the later one had the Dynamic Pack Suspension which was very clever, but not as good as my Evoque's Magneride as far as roll was concerned. Great thing with RRS/D4 and FFRR is how they totally smother road imperfections, you just glide over them, in the Evoque you know when you've hit a pot hole!
Reference URL's