babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Roof box makes noise
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have the LR roof rack combined with the Thule Atlantis 780 box. Unfortunately it gives me a lot of noice when hitting 70 mph. Anyone else who experienced this? Also the Thule box is not aligned against the racks, anyone having this problem with the Thule boxes?
I have the LR roof box on LR crossbars and I was amazed how quiet the set-up is as I have never owned a roof box before, apart from seeing it through the glass roof I didn't know it was there at 70+ mph
The LR cross bars are actually handed for drivers side and paasenger side. Have you fitted them correctly? I have a box that has the aerodynamics of a brick and it is still surprisingly quiet. Sounds like you may have some fitting issues.
(09-02-2013 01:05pm)ChuckieB Wrote: [ -> ]The LR cross bars are actually handed for drivers side and paasenger side. Have you fitted them correctly? I have a box that has the aerodynamics of a brick and it is still surprisingly quiet. Sounds like you may have some fitting issues.

I notised that they are handed, however there were no instruction on which way to go. Currently I have the "wider" profile facing forward, i.e. looking like an aeroplane wing. Anyone know if that would be correct?

I could switch, but as I have everything mounted I'd rather know before tearing it down...Wink
(09-02-2013 10:19am)PapaRod Wrote: [ -> ]Also the Thule box is not aligned against the racks, anyone having this problem with the Thule boxes?

There are notches on the inside of the rails which I presume engage with the LR roof bars. I fitted my Thule bars at those notches and as I suspected, it kept the box level even though my box ends up further back than I would like.

If the rear bar was fitted further back (because the rails slope down) the nose of the box would be high.

Is your box level?

[attachment=3302]
Also make sure the box grips are tight on the bars - f any of them are loose you'll get noise
(09-02-2013 01:22pm)PapaRod Wrote: [ -> ]I notised that they are handed, however there were no instruction on which way to go. Currently I have the "wider" profile facing forward, i.e. looking like an aeroplane wing. Anyone know if that would be correct?

I could switch, but as I have everything mounted I'd rather know before tearing it down...Wink

On the inside of each locking cover there is actually a picture indicating left or right. So if you have the bars on incorrectly these covers won't then lock on properly. If they are located properly in the small holes on the roof rails then it is likely to be an issue with the fitting on of the box itself.
(09-02-2013 02:17pm)brianthedog Wrote: [ -> ]There are notches on the inside of the rails which I presume engage with the LR roof bars. I fitted my Thule bars at those notches and as I suspected, it kept the box level even though my box ends up further back than I would like.

If the rear bar was fitted further back (because the rails slope down) the nose of the box would be high.

Is your box level?

By notches, do you mean the small holes where one is supposed to match the crossbar? Anyone that can tell me if you have the wider profile on the bar facing forward?

The box looks level for the eye, but I'll do it with a photo tomorrow.

I also struggle in getting the bar to grip tight to the rail and it actually leaves me with a small gap between rail and bar. Felt like a non perfect fit to be honest. Guess I need to check my handling one more time...Crying
(09-02-2013 08:08pm)PapaRod Wrote: [ -> ]By notches, do you mean the small holes where one is supposed to match the crossbar? Anyone that can tell me if you have the wider profile on the bar facing forward?

The box looks level for the eye, but I'll do it with a photo tomorrow.

I also struggle in getting the bar to grip tight to the rail and it actually leaves me with a small gap between rail and bar. Felt like a non perfect fit to be honest. Guess I need to check my handling one more time...Crying

Have you adjusted the width of the rails by loosening and then retightening the bolts located in the t track. At least one on each bar needs to be adjusted each time you refit otherwise the grips will not probably sit properly. In some respects it is a bit of a pain to have to do such a thing on bespoke bars!
(09-02-2013 11:13pm)ChuckieB Wrote: [ -> ]Have you adjusted the width of the rails by loosening and then retightening the bolts located in the t track. At least one on each bar needs to be adjusted each time you refit otherwise the grips will not probably sit properly. In some respects it is a bit of a pain to have to do such a thing on bespoke bars!

I have indeed, but I have been struggling anyway. It doesn't seem to be a perfect fit even though I went for the oem solution...Will give it another shot tomorrow.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's