babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Snowed In
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Here in the Cotswolds, we have had/are having heavy snow and the RRE will not make it up my inclined driveway to the lane above. The lane is like a skating rink and the snow has fallen on frozen icy ground. So try as it might, the car cannot get up there, moves sideways alarmingly and when I decided to come back down, the car slid on all four locked wheels, the HDC couldn't cope.

Thought I'd clear part of the driveway with a snow shovel but it's so slippery underneath, no chance. Not sure winter tyres would have helped, maybe snow chains.

So, I'm snowed-in. fortunately have lots of wine and other essential supplies, so today might be the time I finally upgrade my PC to Windows 7.
20 inch wheels with summer tyres?
Err, yes.
Mark, you're right. Winter tyres without studs would make no difference on ice like that on a hill (I know that through experience). Enjoy the wine!
(18-01-2013 12:27pm)mark_n Wrote: [ -> ]Err, yes.

not suprised then, mine on 18's is fantastic in the snow/ice. Well it was until it borked yesterday.
(18-01-2013 12:05pm)mark_n Wrote: [ -> ]Here in the Cotswolds, we have had/are having heavy snow and the RRE will not make it up my inclined driveway to the lane above. The lane is like a skating rink and the snow has fallen on frozen icy ground. So try as it might, the car cannot get up there, moves sideways alarmingly and when I decided to come back down, the car slid on all four locked wheels, the HDC couldn't cope.

Thought I'd clear part of the driveway with a snow shovel but it's so slippery underneath, no chance. Not sure winter tyres would have helped, maybe snow chains.

So, I'm snowed-in. fortunately have lots of wine and other essential supplies, so today might be the time I finally upgrade my PC to Windows 7.

Upgrade to Windows 8 - much better (and only £25 at the moment)
Ugh ... we were hoping to have an adventure on Sunday and drive the Oxfordshire country lanes to the Muddy Duck in Hithe for lunch.

I guess that is off the itinerary now Sad
Too far south, too cold?

Sorry chaps, beautiful clear sunny day up here looking out of my study window overlooking Loch Greshornish, thinking of putting the summer tyres back on Ner Ner
(18-01-2013 02:07pm)Tony Wrote: [ -> ]Too far south, too cold?

Sorry chaps, beautiful clear sunny day up here looking out of my study window overlooking Loch Greshornish, thinking of putting the summer tyres back on Ner Ner

Just you wait, your time will come, laddie!

(18-01-2013 12:34pm)KaDargo Wrote: [ -> ]Upgrade to Windows 8 - much better (and only £25 at the moment)

Yes, so cheap, I wonder how it's selling. Don't like to the new user interface, but then I am 57...
(18-01-2013 01:40pm)leveller Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh ... we were hoping to have an adventure on Sunday and drive the Oxfordshire country lanes to the Muddy Duck in Hithe for lunch.

I guess that is off the itinerary now Sad

I thnk you'll be alright, it's not far off the M40. I'd be fine if I could reach the main road but at the moment, I can't even get out of my driveway. I have a snow shovel and one bag of salt, so plan to clear the snow when it stops, spread the salt and cross my fingers. It's so slippery now it's difficult to walk up and especially down the drive.
GGS setting seems to work well until all 4 wheels are lost.

My 20" summer tyre have so far done well in the snow for traction & climbing, but steering & stopping has not been fun.

Will be considering some winter tyres for next year
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's