babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Need to decide: manual or auto?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We have a few more weeks to go before locking in the order before build and I'm torn over the manual vs auto transmission debate. I'm a total new comer to doing any sort of offloading and the evoque has been ordered with the idea of getting to campsites, mountain biking, snow trips, etc along with the performance benefits on road. I'm probably over thinking it.

I'm wondering just how limited I'd be in trying to do any sort of tricky terrain in a manual. The questions in my mind are sandy beaches and any sort of rocky slope where the car might bounce around a little. The latter might be pulling off a dirt road up a steep section to access a camping site or over rough ground where there is a change in levels but not beyond the clearances of the evoque.

I don't want to get to a point where I pull up short on offroad areas because I choose the wrong transmission but don't want to limit day to day enjoyment either.

Any thoughts?
Makes no difference off road whether you have the manual or the automatic as the auto can be driven manually on the paddle shifters. The difference is when the going gets sinky or slippery and in a manual you have a tendency to ride the clutch, this can lead to a cooked clutch. the autos have a built-in oil cooler to avoid this. If you tow a trailer then often autos are preferable for that. If you do a lt of town driving manuals can be tiring on your clutch leg. I haven't driven a manual Evoque yet but most of the comments that I have heard are that it is a very nice gearbox once it has had a few months use. The auto can be a little reluctant to hold lower gears as it is programmed to get good efficiency and to make use of the low down torque of the engine. Of course you can override that by using the S setting of the auto, and then it will only change up at the rev limiter or if you pull the + paddle.
Personally I prefer an auto but should I feel the need to drive a three pedal car and stir five on floor then I can vent my frustrations in my 2nd car which is a manual. I like the Evoque's auto box but don't understand why in 2012 we only got 6 forward ratios and not 8.
For off roadthe auto is probably better as the slowest speed the manual can do in 1st gear is 4mph, therefore when going downhill or on really bumpy tracks it feels a bit fast. The auto can go slower due to slipage in the torque converter. You can still go slower in the manual but you need to use the clutch and brake more which means you dont get the benefit of HDC on downhills below 4mph.
On road I prefer the manual as the auto thends to lurch when setting off and has a habit of changing gear mid bend. I know I could select manual mode when on bendy roads, thats why I chose a manual box and saved myself about £1400
HDC is only settable at 4mph on an Auto too... Tim's pretty spot on, if you want to do a lot of offroad the Auto is easier, town driving etc Auto is easier, but there is something about driving a Manual on road that still stops me from getting an Auto, whenever I get courtesy or Hire cars they are Auto and I find them tedious, but that's just me.

If you are dithering you probably want the Auto...
I'm dithering but want the manual for same reasons, it's a better connection or feel with the car. I'm just worried I'll be unable to unlock the potential of the TD4.

Sand is a real possibility given the endless beaches and opportunities for camping. The rock climbing will be less where I'll be inclined to challenge (or damage!) it. The possibility of a remap down the track is in favour of the auto as well.

Thanks for the comments, the head is for the auto but the heart still likes the manual.
I came from a auto Fl2 to manual Evoque and don't miss it. The manual box is a very nice shifter, easy to drive. The manual will do anything the auto can do, I towed my brothers 2.6ton Transit van without cooking the clutch. Yes the auto is easier but for me the extra costs out weight the benefits. It's the first LR I've had where the road tax is only £135 for the year.

Overall they are both nice cars and it's down to personal taste. Either car will impress.
It depends how much offroad you want to do, but even with the manual the offroad modes change the throttle response to make it easy to use. The Instructor at my driving experience day called the Evoque an eager puppy dog (Auto or Manual), good power/torque and no low ratio makes it want to get up and go where it should be more sedate! but a bit of practice you'll be fine in the Manual.
auto
For the sort of off roading I did on the experience day last week I can see the benefit of having the auto. For the sort of extreme off roadingLaughing I am likely to do with my own car then I think the manual suits just fine.

Besides never liked the whine of an auto box!...and a six speed at that!
I originally ordered a manual but swapped to an auto just before lock in and don't regret it one bit. Not the best auto box especially when Pulling away from a crawl...but to me just feels right in a RR somehow. Also think the auto will be in more demand come resale...IMHO Wink
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's