babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Winter Tyres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Mrs Discopants has had the beautiful evoque for a couple of weeks now. White, Dynamic, 20" alloys, stunning.

But will it need winter tyres - i'm hoping not (no offroading, just dealing with the usual snow/ice chaos that is the UK in the next month or 2)
Unlikely... Lots of discussions on here, they are better obviously, are they neccessary... depends on the weather!

But for most road driving, with gritted roads etc the standard ones will be fine. Just remember 4 wheel drive doesn't mean additional stopping power... Infact with the weight it's probably worse to stop!
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you search with +winter +tyres then you will see that this has been covered in a number of previous threads.
(04-12-2012 01:15pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you search with +winter +tyres then you will see that this has been covered in a number of previous threads.

No offence taken at all, newbie mistake Embarrassed
Just driven mine on 20" summer rubber down and up a half mile of frozen snow on ice. Grass gravel and snow setting on the terrain response and and HDC set to hold the car at 2-3mph and just let the car drive itself with minimal throttle. I have Ice and snow tyres as well but due to other reasons they aren't being fitted this winter but I used them last winter and they were good and confidence inspiring.
(04-12-2012 01:37pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Just driven mine on 20" summer rubber down and up a half mile of frozen snow on ice. Grass gravel and snow setting on the terrain response and and HDC set to hold the car at 2-3mph and just let the car drive itself with minimal throttle. I have Ice and snow tyres as well but due to other reasons they aren't being fitted this winter but I used them last winter and they were good and confidence inspiring.

So in your experience is it worth the expense - like I say, its for general 'getting off the estate' type driving surety.
They are not a requirement, the car will run very well without them but are nice to have.
Lets face it if the conditions are so bad that you have doubts about going places even with 4WD and the Terrain response then you shouldn't be going on the roads!
It is proven that winter tyres perform better below 7c than "summer" tyres and they are excellent in the rain and will reduce braking distances. If they are not a requirement of your insurer or the government then you are buying something that you aren't going to use for 6 months of the year and they aren't a cheap thing to invest in if you are also buying alloys to fit them to and you also have to have somewhere to store a set of wheels and tyres when they aren't in use.
On the other hand... for the months you have winter tyres fitted you aren't using and wearing out your summer tyres, so they will last considerably longer than if you just kept the summers on the whole time; you may well find the initial outlay for winter tyres doesn't actually cost that much extra in the long run.
Having the 20' dynamic wheels too I am thinking about using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde which are M&S tyres so better in the snow than the summer ones but have been designed to be very efficient. I just feel they are a better compromise than having both winter and summer tyres and apparently was originally designed for the Evoque as I believe the smaller wheeled versions run with them.
look like very nice tires, but I'm not sure they have them in a 245/45/20 size (maybe this is just in the US?)...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?...ke=Pirelli

(05-12-2012 11:52am)bean Wrote: [ -> ]Having the 20' dynamic wheels too I am thinking about using the Pirelli Scorpion Verde which are M&S tyres so better in the snow than the summer ones but have been designed to be very efficient. I just feel they are a better compromise than having both winter and summer tyres and apparently was originally designed for the Evoque as I believe the smaller wheeled versions run with them.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's