babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Gone.......
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
after 6 months of ownership the Evoque has now been traded against a Porsche Cayenne Diesel.
We got a great deal on it and pretty much fully recovered our purchase price.

Shame as we really liked the Evoque when we got it, looks and style are still great but living with the cramped interior and lack of overtaking power - along with rear passengers compaints and the lack of any real space in the boot. Hope it goes to a good home.

Cayenne is a quality product, if not a little ugly, 3ltr V6 is a great engine (we're already doing better on the MPG than we managed in the Evoque! 39.8MPG vs 32.2MPG), we test drove against a RRS but the 3ltr was a little sluggish - we'd had the V8 in the past, that was a breast, but the loss of the excxtra 2 cylinders seems to have had a dramatic effect.

Maybe we'll come back to RR when the new RRS comes out (2014?) will be about right for the next switch.

Cheers, Colin
(18-11-2012 09:44am)colski1961 Wrote: [ -> ]after 6 months of ownership the Evoque has now been traded against a Porsche Cayenne Diesel.
We got a great deal on it and pretty much fully recovered our purchase price.

Shame as we really liked the Evoque when we got it, looks and style are still great but living with the cramped interior and lack of overtaking power - along with rear passengers compaints and the lack of any real space in the boot. Hope it goes to a good home.

Cayenne is a quality product, if not a little ugly, 3ltr V6 is a great engine (we're already doing better on the MPG than we managed in the Evoque! 39.8MPG vs 32.2MPG), we test drove against a RRS but the 3ltr was a little sluggish - we'd had the V8 in the past, that was a breast, but the loss of the excxtra 2 cylinders seems to have had a dramatic effect.

Maybe we'll come back to RR when the new RRS comes out (2014?) will be about right for the next switch.

Cheers, Colin

Sad to hear that you are leaving the evoque family, but the Cayenne is also a very good choice, but not quite comparable to the evoque because it is just a bigger car class.

Anyway I wish you the best with a very nice car which you will like for sure!
Good choice, I know what you mean about them being sluggish, couldn't pull the skin off a custard!!

Would like a Cayenne myself, was looking the other day but the spec nod trim I would want put it at £60k+, a little too high at the minute.

Anyway seeing as its today been announced tat JLR are going to satisfy the export market from China and not expand in uk, I am a little pissed off with them and probably wouldn't get another one on principal, before long we will be Importing them into the Uk, it's disgusting!!!!
(18-11-2012 11:26am)THEMACS Wrote: [ -> ]Anyway seeing as its today been announced tat JLR are going to satisfy the export market from China and not expand in uk, I am a little pissed off with them and probably wouldn't get another one on principal, before long we will be Importing them into the Uk, it's disgusting!!!!

THEMACS, whilst I understand your concerns, I think you are wrong. I believe JLR recognise that a Chinese made car imported back to the UK or other major markets would hurt their brand and sales both here in the UK and in places like the US.

Markets around Europe are drying up as a result of politicians and banks getting thinks very wrong. The European car industry is in a right mess. The American car industry was bailed out by the Obama administration. 40% of JLR"s business is with Europe - it needs to look elsewhere. JLR is a rare success story and one of which we should be proud.

They have invested £370m to upgrade the production facilities at Solihull to build the new RR. They are currently spending around £800 million with British companies, supporting around 190,000 jobs in the supply chain in the UK, including the likes of Johnson Controls, which makes the seats. They have recently hired around 90 staff to help increase production. Further DHL has taken on around 1,200 new employees to help transport parts to and from the Solihull plant.

Whilst the China deal will be the first manufacturing plant outside of the UK, it is not the first time that JLR cars have been assembled overseas. The Freelander is already assembled in Pune, India from kits sent out from the UK, and the Land Rover Defender is assembled in several locations, including Kenya.

The fact is with export markets, one of the biggest deterrents to sales is import taxes. If JLR can overcome this with in-country production to drive additional sales and profits, that cannot be a bad thing. It will only lead to further investment in new models and will keep jobs secure both here in the UK and overseas.
(18-11-2012 12:56pm)Samson Wrote: [ -> ]THEMACS, whilst I understand your concerns, I think you are wrong. I believe JLR recognise that a Chinese made car imported back to the UK or other major markets would hurt their brand and sales both here in the UK and in places like the US.

Markets around Europe are drying up as a result of politicians and banks getting thinks very wrong. The European car industry is in a right mess. The American car industry was bailed out by the Obama administration. 40% of JLR"s business is with Europe - it needs to look elsewhere. JLR is a rare success story and one of which we should be proud.

They have invested £370m to upgrade the production facilities at Solihull to build the new RR. They are currently spending around £800 million with British companies, supporting around 190,000 jobs in the supply chain in the UK, including the likes of Johnson Controls, which makes the seats. They have recently hired around 90 staff to help increase production. Further DHL has taken on around 1,200 new employees to help transport parts to and from the Solihull plant.

Whilst the China deal will be the first manufacturing plant outside of the UK, it is not the first time that JLR cars have been assembled overseas. The Freelander is already assembled in Pune, India from kits sent out from the UK, and the Land Rover Defender is assembled in several locations, including Kenya.

The fact is with export markets, one of the biggest deterrents to sales is import taxes. If JLR can overcome this with in-country production to drive additional sales and profits, that cannot be a bad thing. It will only lead to further investment in new models and will keep jobs secure both here in the UK and overseas.

I think you are being a little naive although I agree that it does make more business sense, unfortunately that doesn't mean that te UK will benefit, seeing as JLR are owned by an Indian company!
(18-11-2012 05:54pm)THEMACS Wrote: [ -> ]I think you are being a little naive although I agree that it does make more business sense, unfortunately that doesn't mean that te UK will benefit, seeing as JLR are owned by an Indian company!

I am not being naive... just facing up to the facts. The company has been doing well, and yes Tata have benefited. They deserve to - JLR has been turned around under Tata after it tried to seek financial assistance from the Labour government in 2009 and was rejected. More than £4bn of investment has been committed to the UK by car makers in the past 12 months with most of this coming from JLR. To keep up with demand they have already expanded plants at Halewood, Castle Bromwich and Solihull and are building a new £355m engine factory in Wolverhampton. Over the past 2 years they have hired more than 8,000 employees in the UK and now employ over 20,000 people. They are also going to add a further 1,000+ employees as part of their expansion plans.

As a result of demand for the Evoque (never mind the new RR, F-Type, etc.), they are going to increase orders for components over the next four years generating £1bn+ with UK suppliers and that is on top of £2bn of contracts already agreed with more than 40 UK suppliers.

In this day and age does it really matter who owns the company if importantly it also secures the UK base, its employees and those within the supply chain in the UK? I don't think so.
(18-11-2012 07:42pm)Samson Wrote: [ -> ]I am not being naive... just facing up to the facts. The company has been doing well, and yes Tata have benefited. They deserve to - JLR has been turned around under Tata after it tried to seek financial assistance from the Labour government in 2009 and was rejected. More than £4bn of investment has been committed to the UK by car makers in the past 12 months with most of this coming from JLR. To keep up with demand they have already expanded plants at Halewood, Castle Bromwich and Solihull and are building a new £355m engine factory in Wolverhampton. Over the past 2 years they have hired more than 8,000 employees in the UK and now employ over 20,000 people. They are also going to add a further 1,000+ employees as part of their expansion plans.

As a result of demand for the Evoque (never mind the new RR, F-Type, etc.), they are going to increase orders for components over the next four years generating £1bn+ with UK suppliers and that is on top of £2bn of contracts already agreed with more than 40 UK suppliers.

In this day and age does it really matter who owns the company if importantly it also secures the UK base, its employees and those within the supply chain in the UK? I don't think so.

On the assumption it protects or Increases uk jobs then fine, I am just extremely sceptical of foreign owners of British companies as many of them buy them, screw them and shut them then send production abroad, hopefully I am wrong!
Colski apologies for taking your thread further off topic.....

This morning on R4 Today program they interviewed one of the directors of JLR. He pointed out that production in the UK is guaranteed, that JLR are investing and recruiting in the UK spending huge amounts of money and recruiting 1000's more into the engineering and design side of the company. The move to constructing in China is to satisfy demand for JLR products in China thus freeing up production for the UK, European/Russian and USA markets.
no problem, I would say that the Chinese deal would concern most who value the brand, as did the Tata takeover but let's hope that time shows it's unfounded, although I think, in terms of components, there will be an increase in the number of parts sourced via China that end up on a European car.

Regardless of all this I'm still interested to see what they do next in terms of models - specifically next gen RRS and the new Defender - I may be loured back if the product is right, build quality is good and the reliability continues to improve.

Bye for now.

Cheers, Colin
Swapped my Evoque in too last Friday for a FFRR.

It's really going to hurt come the handover as I still love the BabyRR but with 2 kids now it's just too small for us (despite me trying to convince myself to the contrary)

Sad times but happy to be taking ownership of my first FF.

Regarding China, is it not simply a strategic move to grow revenues from the fastest growing economy in the world whilst avoiding their huge import taxes?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's