babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Freezing fog and front lighting
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had to drive 25 miles home tonight in the worst freezing fog i have seen in years. Visibility was down to 15 feet

I had the main dip lights on as well as the front fog lights but the glare back from the dip beam was bad.

I then dropped down to side lights combined with front and rear fog lights, the visibility improved dramatically. The reflected glare was gone & you could see more clearly.

I took some pics in the fog of the defined light patterns, will upload them soon.

The front fog lights are brilliant and a must have for safe driving, but the best combo was with side lights only. I wonder if its the same for night driving in a blizzard

Anybody else found this ?
I've had this in my Mazda, fog so thick you can't use dipped beam and low fogs are essential even to manage 5-10mph, usually on country lanes
Jonathon,

you did the right thing, sometimes when the fog is so dense, your lights will bounce right back to you, the lower the lighting in this respect the better.

It is reassuring that the led fogs are up to the task.
I remember driving in really bad fog once at night I got onto a roundabout but got so disorientated I didn't know which was my exit and the fog was too thick to read the signs so I ended up having to get out of my car and walk up to the sign to read it. I was quite surprised to meet another guy on foot who had also had the same idea, trouble is he had walked back to my car headlights thinking it was his car, and now had completely lost his own car!
(04-11-2012 11:34pm)NightFox Wrote: [ -> ]I remember driving in really bad fog once at night I got onto a roundabout but got so disorientated I didn't know which was my exit and the fog was too thick to read the signs so I ended up having to get out of my car and walk up to the sign to read it. I was quite surprised to meet another guy on foot who had also had the same idea, trouble is he had walked back to my car headlights thinking it was his car, and now had completely lost his own car!

Luckily i knew the roads, however i was nearly caught out by a road junction that was hard to see.
Don't you have satnav, it's not affected by freezing fog! Another thing that is really useful in dense fog(although I don't know if it would work in freezing fog) is the Foward Alert function that the LR Adaptive cruise control has built into it, you set how far ahead it should detect something using the adaptive cruise settings and if it detects something in the field of view of the detector head it flashes a warning light on the dash - saved me from running into the back of an unlit tractor and trailer in thick fog when I had the system in my TDv8 RRS, just wish it were an option for Evoques.
Can you have just the signature LED's on and fogs on at the front?
Yes, is the simple answer.
Reference URL's