babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: It Lasted just 2 hours !!...[GEARBOX FAULT]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
This is my first post on this forum, unfortunately its not the positive post I'd hoped to open with...

I live in Thailand, last week I picked up my new Range Rover Evoque SD4 Prestige (Automatic). For two hours my wife and I loved it... But catastrophe struck on the expressway, I lost power and GEARBOX FAULT displayed on the drivers information panel.
Once I'd coasted the car to the hard shoulder (outer most / recovery lane) the car wouldn't restart, the automatic gear selector remained 'down' and couldn't be rotated.. the car was dead, but remained in gear (or park I couldn't tell).

It's now been in the garage for 3 days, I've no idea what the issue is yet.

Thus: If anyone has had similar problems [GEARBOX FAULT] was there any solution?

With this being Thailand I suspect the mechanical expertise may not exist on an uncommon car, any suggestions I could offer to the garage with the unified experience of this forum may help...

-------

Its a real shame as I was already looking at getting the Dynamic body kit to make what has been termed in another thread a 'Presnamic'....
Matt you are not alone this has happened to other Auto owners, there have been a few threads on this issue, however as a manual owner I can't help.

One of our Mods or Auto owners should be able to point you in the right direction soon.
Put "+gearbox +fault" into the search box and you'll see a number of threads to peruse.

I would post direct links here but I'm having an issue with ipad and "too many redirects"
(21-10-2012 09:15am)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]Put "+gearbox +fault" into the search box and you'll see a number of threads to peruse.

I would post direct links here but I'm having an issue with ipad and "too many redirects"

Thanks, I had a look, also on some other forums. I see that some guys have had similar issues, it appears one guy took plenty of abuse from passing motorists, but none that I can see identify any particular fix or outline what was done to remedy their situation (unless I'm continuing to look in the wrong areas)....

Curiosity and frustration are getting by far the better of me, I'm still hoping for a quick fix as getting parts out here is a slow process.
Have a look on the Jaguar XF forums, they have the same system in the pre-2012MY cars after 2012MY they had an 8 speed gearbox
(21-10-2012 09:58am)MattEvo Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks, I had a look, also on some other forums. I see that some guys have had similar issues, it appears one guy took plenty of abuse from passing motorists, but none that I can see identify any particular fix or outline what was done to remedy their situation (unless I'm continuing to look in the wrong areas)....

Curiosity and frustration are getting by far the better of me, I'm still hoping for a quick fix as getting parts out here is a slow process.

I think there is no answer other than to get LR Assistance out (and they will take car away) - happened to me in my M&D new jag about 2 years ago in the middle of a car park @ Gatwick - towed away and fault was a 'dry' gear box selector unit (known issue) and unit was replaced.
CJ, he's in Thailand, may be no LRA there...................
Ahh, thought that was somewhere quaint in Surrey !
Hi! Which individual garage or imports car sale did you buy from? That dealer have to be responsible for the gearbox fault. I'm in Thailand too. Hope your car gets well soon.
I got the car direct from an importer and not through a dealership.
The importer does have an agreement with a garage and are taking responsibility for the fault - its currently in the garage and they will cover the costs of any necessary work.

But, I've just spoken with the garage and 4 days later and they still do not know what the fault is. The car won't re-start.

I made a mistake in my initial post: The 'Rotary Gear Select' was elevated (in its working / on position), but the car would not start, the Rotary Gear Selector would not rotate.

While sat in the car waiting for the recovery, the car kept locking, and I had to unlock it by depressing the key fob.

I've provide the garage with some information I've gleaned from this and other sites. i.e. the 'foot on brake and +gear paddle depressed for 10 seconds'... Lets hope that does something as at the moment, the only thing the car is useful for is sitting in and looking at !.

Thanks for the comments and help so far.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's