babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Need to brake between gear changes on auto?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the manual it states you should have your foot on the brake before switching gears on the automatic. As I'm new to automatics I'm not sure if this is really necessary or not? Will it damage the transmission if you switch gears whilst still in motion? I'm just talking about going very slow here.

It seems more natural and fluid to change WHILST you are reversing to 'drive' on the gear switch when coming out of a driveway for example.

Is it also necessary when pulling out at the lights to be pressing the brahe before you switch from neutral to drive?
Never felt the need in any circumstances except perhaps R to D
Depends on the circumstances.
Going from D to S, or S to D then there is no need.
Going fron D to N or R or P then I would do as the manual suggests and cover the brake pedal.
You will not be able to go from P to R/N/D without your foot on the footbrake - there is an interlock to prevent what happened to Audis in the 1980's in the USA, called Sudden Drive Off if I remember quickly. Lots of litigious Americans sued Audi when apparrantly their cars drove off without them being aware! Also Stefc, no need to go to N at traffic lights unless you are there for a while, you can stay in D and engage the parking brake to save burning out the eyes of the driver behind you with the high level brake light. Leaving the gearbox in D can cause the oil to get hotter than it should be and of course means the car is being held against the brakes which can cause premature wear on them..................... but if you engage N you will still have to use the parking brake to stop the car rolling away
With autos it is generally good practice to follow what the manual says. Having said that, my manual states that when the handbrake is on and I awnt to move off I can do this in 1st, 2nd or reverse. You cannot set off in 2nd, the handbrake will not release. Either a bug or a misprint Confused
Reference URL's