babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Newbie with some questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hello all, I am new to this forum but have been lurking for a couple of months, and have gleaned some useful information, but i still have a few more!!

I apologise if some of my queries have been answered in other posts - I have taken a look with search engine but couldn't find the answers to everything.

I am currently looking at purchasing an Evoque (5dr Automatic Dynamic), whilst I have experience (limited knowledge) with the RRS & FFRR I know very little regarding the evoque. I have a list of questions regarding the car and was wondering if the learned collective could help to answer them. My questions are as follows:

- Ideally I would like buy second hand but looks like they are holding value well and doesn’t look like there is a real saving from new – as such is there still a long waiting list for new and/or does anyone know any dealers that currently have new stock?
- I understand there is a new model year coming out – has this already been released? Would I be foolish to buy an available 2012MY or should I wait for a 2013MY? I assume if there is new stock available at dealers it would be the 2012MY that they are trying to get rid of?
- I am split between the Petrol and Diesel engine, preferring the former for the improved performance. I know that on the FFRR petrol engines are a dog to sell and depreciate harder – is this likely to be the same for Evoque given the smaller engine size and smaller variation in MPG?
- Are there ‘must have ‘ extra’s, like panoramic roof or Lux pack? Or is the standard dynamic package sufficient, I appreciate it is all personal choice !!
- Has anyone had any experience with these in the snow – we live on a particularly steep hill and when it snows & all but Land Rovers struggle to get up the hill – X5’s, Q7’s etc all get stuck – I am not looking for a mud plugger but would need to the car to be able to deal with the snow.
- Lastly is there anything else I need to look out for? Anything obvious I have missed.

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks

Peekay
Welcome to the forums Peekay, I'll try to answer some for you.
1) " Ideally I would like buy second hand but looks like they are holding value well and doesn’t look like there is a real saving from new – as such is there still a long waiting list for new and/or does anyone know any dealers that currently have new stock?"

Yes some dealers have cars for stock, but you have to accept the spec they opted for and many options cannot be dealer fitted like front fog lights. You can find plenty of cars listed on the Land Rover Used Approved section of their website, but dealers seem to be charging an lot for them

2) " I understand there is a new model year coming out – has this already been released? Would I be foolish to buy an available 2012MY or should I wait for a 2013MY? I assume if there is new stock available at dealers it would be the 2012MY that they are trying to get rid of?"

2013 MY cars are now on sale - differences are minimal - badging mainly and the option of a Prestige leather interior on a Dynamic car.
The 2012 stock at dealers is likely to be pre-reg or showroom cars if there are any left as 2013 went on sale a couple of weeks ago

3) "I am split between the Petrol and Diesel engine, preferring the former for the improved performance. I know that on the FFRR petrol engines are a dog to sell and depreciate harder – is this likely to be the same for Evoque given the smaller engine size and smaller variation in MPG? "

Depends on your normal drive route - the Diesels have a Particualte filter that needs to regenerate and doesn't take too kindly to a lot of city stop start motoring - a petrol is better for short runs and that sort of driving. Having owned FFRR's previously, their diesels are so good that really the petrols are for die-hards! IIRC people on here with petrols are getting in the high 20's mpg in mixed driving, the SD4 diesels in the mid 30's and the TD4's in the high 30's/ low 40's

4) "Are there ‘must have ‘ extra’s, like panoramic roof or Lux pack? Or is the standard dynamic package sufficient, I appreciate it is all personal choice !!"

If you go for a Coupe then while not essential a panoramic roof lightens the interior considerably, most folks have found the standard dynamic trim OK, I have the Plus version with the Recaro style seats which are fantastic. Powered tailgate is a great extra and many are recommending the optional spare wheel. The front fogs are well worth investing in on a Pure, just for aesthetics as the grey blanking pieces that are standard are not too attractive and operational LED fog lights cannot be retro fitted easily.

5) "Has anyone had any experience with these in the snow – we live on a particularly steep hill and when it snows & all but Land Rovers struggle to get up the hill – X5’s, Q7’s etc all get stuck – I am not looking for a mud plugger but would need to the car to be able to deal with the snow."

Yes some of us have - the Terrain Response has a snow setting that is very good, it will get you moving, but like any car it doesn't assist stopping on a slipery surface. Winter tyres help too. The others get stuck because their owners have unsuitable tyres, not because of the car.

6) "Lastly is there anything else I need to look out for? Anything obvious I have missed."

Not really, the car is still very new on the market and yes there are bugs - annoying rattles that some dealers seem to be incapable of curing but newly built cars should have all the software upgrades down already. If a used car from a dealer then some are wrapped so be careful of non standard colours or look carefully for signs of "unwrapping" - dd marks on the paint and scratching where they have used tools to remove a wrap. If you are looking at an Indus Silver used car then try to get underneath it - it will be in good condition but may have led a hard life at an Experience centre and been offroad a lot.
Hi Peekay,

To answer your 'must have's' question I would think the panoramic roof is definitely one if you like a lot of light in the car, as is the reverse camera if you want to have the best view of what is going on behind. Personally, I opted for the Lux pack as I like my toys.

I also went for the petrol and having driven the diesel, I am very happy with my choice. The diesel is very good but the petrol feels quicker, lighter (in corners) and sounds better. I only average around 500 miles per month so fuel economy isn't an issue and helped steer me towards the petrol option too. I'm not concerned about depreciation but understand this is a concern for many - I'd guess the diesel will fair somewhat better however if the vast majority buy diesel's then the petrol's might be 'rare' enough to hold decent value too.

In terms of snow use, I live in South Bucks (West Wycombe area) and for the last few years have seen neighbours struggle with their X5's etc and loved my Disco 4 for it being so good but would venture to say that the Evoque is even better! I got my car in December last year and found it to be very sure-footed even on standard tyres in the snow up Wycombe valley's hills. That said, no car is immune to sliding on thick ice if all 4 wheels are on it so caution still needs to be exercised but the Evoque instils a degree of confidence that if it were to let go, it would be easier to regain control of in a slide than a far heavier 4x4.
Many thanks for the input, have pulled the trigger on a dynamic sd4 with lux pack, picking it up on Saturday!
"If you are looking at an Indus Silver used car then try to get underneath it - it will be in good condition but may have led a hard life at an Experience centre and been offroad a lot."

While it is usually true to Experience Centres only use Indus Silver that does not apply to Evoque where other colours are used due to the need to get Evoques into the Experience Centres quickly.
I don't believe LRE had too many Dynamics either as their front spoiler is a little lower than the Prestige and Pure
(19-09-2012 07:53pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]I don't believe LRE had too many Dynamics either as their front soiler is a little lower than the Prestige and Pure

+1
You'd soon be able to tell if one of those had been busy in the countryside.
(18-09-2012 12:07pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Welcome to the forums Peekay, I'll try to answer some for you.
1) " Ideally I would like buy second hand but looks like they are holding value well and doesn’t look like there is a real saving from new – as such is there still a long waiting list for new and/or does anyone know any dealers that currently have new stock?"

Yes some dealers have cars for stock, but you have to accept the spec they opted for and many options cannot be dealer fitted like front fog lights. You can find plenty of cars listed on the Land Rover Used Approved section of their website, but dealers seem to be charging an lot for them

2) " I understand there is a new model year coming out – has this already been released? Would I be foolish to buy an available 2012MY or should I wait for a 2013MY? I assume if there is new stock available at dealers it would be the 2012MY that they are trying to get rid of?"

2013 MY cars are now on sale - differences are minimal - badging mainly and the option of a Prestige leather interior on a Dynamic car.
The 2012 stock at dealers is likely to be pre-reg or showroom cars if there are any left as 2013 went on sale a couple of weeks ago

3) "I am split between the Petrol and Diesel engine, preferring the former for the improved performance. I know that on the FFRR petrol engines are a dog to sell and depreciate harder – is this likely to be the same for Evoque given the smaller engine size and smaller variation in MPG? "

Depends on your normal drive route - the Diesels have a Particualte filter that needs to regenerate and doesn't take too kindly to a lot of city stop start motoring - a petrol is better for short runs and that sort of driving. Having owned FFRR's previously, their diesels are so good that really the petrols are for die-hards! IIRC people on here with petrols are getting in the high 20's mpg in mixed driving, the SD4 diesels in the mid 30's and the TD4's in the high 30's/ low 40's

4) "Are there ‘must have ‘ extra’s, like panoramic roof or Lux pack? Or is the standard dynamic package sufficient, I appreciate it is all personal choice !!"

If you go for a Coupe then while not essential a panoramic roof lightens the interior considerably, most folks have found the standard dynamic trim OK, I have the Plus version with the Recaro style seats which are fantastic. Powered tailgate is a great extra and many are recommending the optional spare wheel. The front fogs are well worth investing in on a Pure, just for aesthetics as the grey blanking pieces that are standard are not too attractive and operational LED fog lights cannot be retro fitted easily.

5) "Has anyone had any experience with these in the snow – we live on a particularly steep hill and when it snows & all but Land Rovers struggle to get up the hill – X5’s, Q7’s etc all get stuck – I am not looking for a mud plugger but would need to the car to be able to deal with the snow."

Yes some of us have - the Terrain Response has a snow setting that is very good, it will get you moving, but like any car it doesn't assist stopping on a slipery surface. Winter tyres help too. The others get stuck because their owners have unsuitable tyres, not because of the car.

6) "Lastly is there anything else I need to look out for? Anything obvious I have missed."

Not really, the car is still very new on the market and yes there are bugs - annoying rattles that some dealers seem to be incapable of curing but newly built cars should have all the software upgrades down already. If a used car from a dealer then some are wrapped so be careful of non standard colours or look carefully for signs of "unwrapping" - dd marks on the paint and scratching where they have used tools to remove a wrap. If you are looking at an Indus Silver used car then try to get underneath it - it will be in good condition but may have led a hard life at an Experience centre and been offroad a lot.

my dealer told me for 2013 model in canada only got park assit, and the interior still stay the same for dynamic because i told him i really want an oxford leather =.=. I think the dealer in canada are really noob?
(20-09-2012 04:50am)akikan Wrote: [ -> ]my dealer told me for 2013 model in canada only got park assit, and the interior still stay the same for dynamic because i told him i really want an oxford leather =.=. I think the dealer in canada are really noob?

Not necessarily, the Dynamic with Prestige interior may be a UK specific model. Belgium gets TD and ED versions of the Prestige and Dynamic that we cannot buy in the UK. There are also Alcantra "suede" trims available in some markets that are not available elsewhere.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's