babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: DMS automotive SD4 with 240bhp
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Spotted an engine upgrade mod today from DMS quoting 240bhp. Didn't say what the mod was but suspect more than a simple ecu remap to get that uplift from the standard 190.

Definitely needs more. Getting fed up with how slow it is! The Dynamic chassis setup can take lots more not sure about the brakes though!

Anybody had the DMS mod done or have more info?
(19-08-2012 09:29pm)QueJumper Wrote: [ -> ]Spotted an engine upgrade mod today from DMS quoting 240bhp. Didn't say what the mod was but suspect more than a simple ecu remap to get that uplift from the standard 190.

Definitely needs more. Getting fed up with how slow it is! The Dynamic chassis setup can take lots more not sure about the brakes though!

Anybody had the DMS mod done or have more info?

Are the Si4 brakes similar to the SD4 brakes? If so there should be no problem.Wink
The plug in tuning boxes quote almost 240bhp (certainly in excess of 230bhp) so should be acheivable with a proper remap, and not much more.
Also don't think the brakes have anything to do with it either unless you are trying to brake at the same time as putting the power down.
it is likely just a remap - can get anywhere between an extra 40-60hp out of most turbo diesels.

I dropped an email to my preferred tuner the other day who said these cars can't be mapped via the OBD so i'm guessing this is a ecu removal job... nothing wrong with that though.

Brakes wise - should be fine.
I suggest you contact Pete Bell of BAS who are forum sponsors - he developed a remap especially for his Evoque and at least one member here has had it done to his car and I know was very pleased with the BAS map
The brakes are in fact very important, if you are trying to reduce speed massively, there is a reason my john cooper works has other brakes than the cooper s, and the jcw has only 27 hp more than the cooper s.

The sd4 is heavier than the si4 I guess so this will be another point even if brakes are the same.

There could be a problem if you try reducing top speed for example on a German motorway, the car will obviously need more time to stop.
I think in general that it is taken as read that if you "chip" your car for more power then you will drive it harder and therefore work the brakes harder. Obviously this is not always the case
(20-08-2012 08:31am)LonnyGer Wrote: [ -> ]The brakes are in fact very important, if you are trying to reduce speed massively, there is a reason my john cooper works has other brakes than the cooper s, and the jcw has only 27 hp more than the cooper s.

The sd4 is heavier than the si4 I guess so this will be another point even if brakes are the same.

There could be a problem if you try reducing top speed for example on a German motorway, the car will obviously need more time to stop.

LonnyGer,
Sorry but I've got to disagree.
There are 2 issues here.
1. Do you just want more performance and to accelerate quicker.
2. Do you also want to stop quicker.
Nothing stopping you from accelerating harder but still braking from the same top speeds over the same distances using the standard brakes. It's all about the driving characteristics you are after.

If you want all round more aggressive driving then upgrade power and brakes to allow faster acceleration and deceleration, but if like me you just want a bit more responsiveness (i.e. faster off the line) then there is no problem just upgrading the power.

You can upgarde 1 or the other or both, you don't 'have to' upgrade both.
(20-08-2012 10:47am)smayo Wrote: [ -> ]LonnyGer,
Sorry but I've got to disagree.
There are 2 issues here.
1. Do you just want more performance and to accelerate quicker.
2. Do you also want to stop quicker.
Nothing stopping you from accelerating harder but still braking from the same top speeds over the same distances using the standard brakes. It's all about the driving characteristics you are after.

If you want all round more aggressive driving then upgrade power and brakes to allow faster acceleration and deceleration, but if like me you just want a bit more responsiveness (i.e. faster off the line) then there is no problem just upgrading the power.

You can upgarde 1 or the other or both, you don't 'have to' upgrade both.

Hmm I got your point, but if you are going for max speed, you will get a higher end speed by tuning the engine.

This higher end speed will result in the fact, that you will need more time to decelarate the car, much more time than the Si4 will need for decelaration, because the weight is higher.

The question is, are the brakes of the sd 4 designed to decelerate quick enough from top speed about 230km/h.

If you push the car to a speed where the 190HP SD4 normaly can't go, you have to ask yourself are the brakes strong enough to decelarate fast enough if for example you get to the end of a traffic jam.
A remap will not give a higher top speed unless it raises the rev limiter.

Most rempas do not do this.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's