babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Evoque - My hates!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
These change over time but after 6 months of use these are the ones that REALLY bug me!

- Visibility, especially to the front corners when going up or down multi-story car parks. I have no idea where my extremities are.

- Sat Nav - Slow, awkward, horrible touch screen. and what the hell is that safety warning for? surely adding another button press is dangerous?

- Cameras are barely useful as definition is so poor.

- Steering wheel buttons are of shockingly poor quality and feel, we have a fiat 500 which has much better quality steering wheel controls. Don't Land Rover realise that a car's perception of quality is mainly down to the things you touch most?

- I really should have got keyless entry, I keep forgetting to put the key back in my pocket, so invariably I put it on the passenger seat and in the first corner it is flinged in to the passenger door well.

So in the end nothing too important and I still love the car, shame that the above could not be avoided though.
I'm in agreement with you on visibility, but there was/is an option of all around cameras. Our Evoque doesn't go into multi storey car parks. My little Punto Evo gets that duty.
I know it's all about personal preference, but I cannot agree with all your points.
- Visibility isno different to most 4x4 style cars. It's all about spacial awareness.
- Camera I cannot comment on as I did not opt for that
- SatNav, well it's no TomTom but once you get used to the functions and where things are I am beginning to really like it. And the fact you can program it via voice is even better
- buttons? They're fine. No worse than my BMW or Merc's before
- now keyless entry. Totally agree. I so should have ticked that box!!!
I always get in and drop the keys in the centre cupholder recess along with the mobile phones, works fine...

The cameras are just novelty value items - were they ever going to be anything else? The Satnav is functional but very graphically dated - not in keeping with the rest of the vehicle at a technology level - it's not really slow other than when the fuzzy-logic of the keyboard entry process is encountered.
That safety warning exists in each of my cars with built-in navigation and is there to prevent people using the defence of "the SatNav told me to go there" and holding the vendor liable.

As for the other points, I think the cameras are fine for the price charged, useful in tight parking situations and width restrictions. I don't have any problem in multi-storey car parks, not that I like using them because the spaces are too narrow for the car.

As for keyless entry, the key is back in my pocket before I even open the door.
I find visibility find as I'm used to a 4x4. If I'm parking in tight spaces or am off road I do use the cameras and they do the job fine. I clean the lenses every now and then - makes a huge difference.

Sat Nav - is not the greatest but having a full post code helps. My BMW didn't. The most infuriating thing is that whilst there is the TMC warning on the screen you can't press it to get an instant feed. you have to go through three presses in the Nav buttons to get there - I want to press it - see what the hold up is and press again to go back to the screen. Infuriating.
Buttons - I find they are fine can't understand the gripe here
Keyless entry - Had it on my Beemer - would not be without it and the electronic tailgate - so useful when you have your hands full.
There is a Land Rover philosophy that you need to know about switches that rules their design - in all models they have to be easily operated wearing a work glove......... you want a prizzy little show car switches buy a Merc, an Audi or a BMW especially buy a Mini with buttons so small you almost need a magnifying glass to see them and tweezers to operate them, you want something practical with style buy a Land Rover. They might not be elegant but at least they can be used with ease.
being new to the brand, switches' operation whilst wearing gloves explains a lot - many thanks for that insight!
(10-08-2012 10:22am)buzben67 Wrote: [ -> ]being new to the brand, switches' operation whilst wearing gloves explains a lot - many thanks for that insight!

I've now got visions of Victoria Beckham wearing a pair of welder's gloves doing the final QC checks
I agree with comments re fiat 500 having better buttons, as I have one also!

I have complained about the quality of the camera before, it's really poor.

Sat Nav is pretty clunky and the hardware is seriously underpowered (have you tried switching on the transitions). However, I don't think it looks dated. Spotify works really well wirelessly using an iPhone. Most impressive (for a land rover anyway)

I can't see there being a software update to improve matters, as the hardware struggles..

One thing I really like is the sat Nav arrow between the speedo/rev counter. I would like the option to increase the size of the speed reading though. I use this more than the actual speedo
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's