babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Halogen headlights , used for the first time in dark
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Late last night i decided to take the car out for a spin to test out the headlights on my pure.

First mistake i made was forgetting to turn them on ! The normal day runner led's seem to give off a reasonable ammount of light as standard.

Once i turned the main headlights on And drive into an unlit country road, i discovered that the dip beam just does not seem to have much range and the light it does put on the floor is not that bright. I have already upgraded the headlight bulbs for better ones.

I also tried out the fog lights , these things were simply amazing . Very bright with a brilliant light spread. They helped the dip beam out a treat..

My last car had bi xenon lights which were alot brighter on the road.

So if you order a pure , don, t forget to order front fog lights as a minimum.
(01-08-2012 07:13am)Jonathon555 Wrote: [ -> ]Late last night i decided to take the car out for a spin to test out the headlights on my pure.

First mistake i made was forgetting to turn them on ! The normal day runner led's seem to give off a reasonable ammount of light as standard.

Once i turned the main headlights on And drive into an unlit country road, i discovered that the dip beam just does not seem to have much range and the light it does put on the floor is not that bright. I have already upgraded the headlight bulbs for better ones.

I also tried out the fog lights , these things were simply amazing . Very bright with a brilliant light spread. They helped the dip beam out a treat..

My last car had bi xenon lights which were alot brighter on the road.

So if you order a pure , don, t forget to order front fog lights as a minimum.

...but remember that you shouldn't use fog lights to supplement your dipped beam (or even instead of it) unless it actually is foggy. Remember that headlights are designed, calibrated, tested and legally required not to dazzle or cause a nuisance to others drivers on the road, whereas front fog lights just burn straight forward.

Plus you end up looking like a Sierra driver from the 1990s. Sorry, but it's a personal hate Wink
(01-08-2012 09:40am)NightFox Wrote: [ -> ]...but remember that you shouldn't use fog lights to supplement your dipped beam (or even instead of it) unless it actually is foggy. Remember that headlights are designed, calibrated, tested and legally required not to dazzle or cause a nuisance to others drivers on the road, whereas front fog lights just burn straight forward.

Plus you end up looking like a Sierra driver from the 1990s. Sorry, but it's a personal hate Wink

Yes, this is true for the rear fog lights. However the front "fog lights" are not officially fog lights but just extra lights.
(01-08-2012 09:40am)NightFox Wrote: [ -> ]...but remember that you shouldn't use fog lights to supplement your dipped beam (or even instead of it) unless it actually is foggy. Remember that headlights are designed, calibrated, tested and legally required not to dazzle or cause a nuisance to others drivers on the road, whereas front fog lights just burn straight forward.

Plus 1, one of my personal dislikes as well. Police will also stop you with front fogs on when not required!
Fog lights when its not foggy, should be an hanging offence.
(01-08-2012 02:55pm)nishandf Wrote: [ -> ]
Yes, this is true for the rear fog lights. However the front "fog lights" are not officially fog lights but just extra lights.

Where do you get your info at the front "fog" lights are not fog lights? because you are wrong. The clue is in the name for a start.
I cant believe on a car of this value, even entry models, does not have Xenons as standard.
I think section 25 of The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 prevent the use of all lights unless they are designed as day time running lights or unless via ability is restricted.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/...on/25/made
(01-08-2012 09:40am)NightFox Wrote: [ -> ]Plus you end up looking like a Sierra driver from the 1990s. Sorry, but it's a personal hate Wink

What's wrong with being a Ford Sierra Driver. I will have you know I loved my 18 year old Sierra Diesel estate. Only had 450,000km on it when I bought it for 600DM. Sold it as a non-runner 18 months later to a Pole for €1500, after anoth 20,000km.LaughingLaughing
(01-08-2012 07:05pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote: [ -> ]What's wrong with being a Ford Sierra Driver. I will have you know I loved my 18 year old Sierra Diesel estate. Only had 450,000km on it when I bought it for 600DM. Sold it as a non-runner 18 months later to a Pole for €1500, after anoth 20,000km.LaughingLaughing

As long as at night (and day!) you didn't drive round with just side lights and front fog lights on instead of dipped beam you are still at the point of forgiveness.
Don't forget that if you have auto-on lights and just run with DLR's on your rear lights will not be burning, also if you run with front and rear high intensity lights in fog then exit the fog so the auto on lights go off, then your front and rear high intensity lights will also go off and next time you run into reduced visibility will not come back on again automatically when the headlights come on in your Evoque - I think it was CJFP who found this out driving in patchy fog
Reference URL's