babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Car was unwilling to reverse - possibly due to parking sensor.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First time I took my car out for a non-comute trip, I parked it in a field, front in, close to a hedge. When we came to leave, we put it in reverse and got a very loud continuous tone (presumably from the front parking sensors). The car is an automatic and releasing the foot brake would normally cause the car to reverse. But not this time. It definitely was in reverse but it wouldn't move. No errors on either screen. I pushed on the accelerator but it still wouldn't move. The engine revs remained fairly constant as if the car chose to ignore the accelerator. Eventually I just pushed the accelerator even more and finally the engine revs rose and the car reversed at a safe speed. The continuous tone then stopped.

My conclusion is that the car detected the hedge in front of the car so chose not to move when I took my foot of the brake. I assume it also re-maped the accelerator because of the perceived obstruction.

I haven't found anything in the manual to backup my theory and I haven't experienced it since (I reverse it every time I put it on my drive).

I haven't been on the Land Rover experience day where I guess this sort of car behaviour would probably be covered.
I have had similar issues with reversing and parking brake not releasing.

It will not release automatically, if seat belts aren't locked, all doors closed, but you can manually release EPB.

I thought I had met the reversing criteria, but still it didn't release, I'm keeping an eye on it now in case I need to speak to the dealership.
I'm pretty sure it wasn't the parking brake as there was no warning message on the display and I think I also did push the parking brake down just to be sure it was off.

I'm sure I will get plenty of opportunities to try to reproduce it.
It may not be relevant in this case but I've found that mine will go nowhere if I try to reverse with the door open, I wonder if maybe a door was not quite shut?
It also isn't unknown on all Range and Land Rovers for the EPB to bind on, especially if they are left parked up fr a length of time (weeks ather than hours) or if driven in deep mud off road. I'm pretty sure that in 2010 there was a modification to D3-4 , RRS and FFRR EPB systems to reduce this, I would hope the problem has been engineered out of Evoque
Reference URL's