babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: 80mph rear blow out ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Was taking my grand parents to a wake today , it was about 80mile away

Half way there had a rear left complete blow out on a dual carriage way , michelin latitude 245/45/20 1 week old ( which at the time i thought we only had a puncture ) the car was so stable. All i heard was the tyre flapping.

So i pulled over To have a look , it just looked flat from the outside. So i deployed the puncture repair kit to no evail. Then i noticed the full inner side wall blown out & a big hole in the tread.

So i called landrover assist who recovered all of us and the car back to Ripon Land rover.

On arriving at Ripon Land rover the service could not have been more amazing, Dylan Mckenzie who supplied my car , Got the wheel swapped within 10 mins for one they had with a new tyre.

They will get a new tyre fitted to my wheel in monday and swap them back over.

So a stressfull day made better be a super dealer.
Great service and great to hear your blow out was without incident

Any damage to the wheel?
(14-07-2012 06:10pm)WB Wrote: [ -> ]Great service and great to hear your blow out was without incident

Any damage to the wheel?

Small scrape about an imch long on the inner rim. Looks as though that where the offending object entered the side wall.
(14-07-2012 06:10pm)WB Wrote: [ -> ]Great service and great to hear your blow out was without incident

Any damage to the wheel?

I second that emotion. (good song too)
Onebigjobby
I had both nearside tyres ripped to shreds on my last RRS, my brother who was a passenger was only aware that I had been forced to drive onto the soft verge where I seem to have found a load of broken bottles to avoid a motorcyclist overtaking a line of oncoming traffic. My brother asked why I had stopped.................... he had never felt a thing but the DSc had cut the engine power completely as soon as it detected the difference in traction between the near and off sides of the car! Very impressive to be in 2.7tonnes of SUV doing 70 when it pulls up dead straight and without the passanger who is a keen driver, noticing anything is wrong!
(14-07-2012 06:50pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]I had both nearside tyres ripped to shreds on my last RRS, my brother who was a passenger was only aware that I had been forced to drive onto the soft verge where I seem to have found a load of broken bottles to avoid a motorcyclist overtaking a line of oncoming traffic. My brother asked why I had stopped.................... he had never felt a thing but the DSc had cut the engine power completely as soon as it detected the difference in traction between the near and off sides of the car! Very impressive to be in 2.7tonnes of SUV doing 70 when it pulls up dead straight and without the passanger who is a keen driver, noticing anything is wrong!

Its events such as this you hope will never happen to you, but if, or when, they do, make you glad you were in a Land Rover.
(14-07-2012 07:40pm)rvsvet Wrote: [ -> ]Its events such as this you hope will never happen to you, but if, or when, they do, make you glad you were in a Land Rover.

+1 well said , the car performed amazingly

I was pissed with wiping out a tyre , but my confidence in the car has soared
The cost of a new tyre will be met by any wheel and tyre insurance you took out, also I assume this was a private stretch of dual carriage way you doing 80mph on was it? Wink

It is reassuring how good modern systems are, not just in a Land Rover but in even quite inexpensive cars today. The thing that is so impressive in a FFRR/ D4 or RRS is the weight of e vehicle that can be stopped in such a short distance with the huge brakes LR fit. I "sold" an RRS for Land Rover on the strength of the performance of that car in the same accident, the guy following me in an Audi A4 acted as a witness to what happened and was so impressed how quickly the car stopped ( he nearly end up in my boot) that as I had exchanged details with him, he contacted me a few weeks later to say he had changed his A4 for. 2nd hand TDV8 RRS like mine and was delighted with in.
(14-07-2012 08:29pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]The cost of a new tyre will be met by any wheel and tyre insurance you took out, also I assume this was a private stretch of dual carriage way you doing 80mph on was it? Wink

It is reassuring how good modern systems are, not just in a Land Rover but in even quite inexpensive cars today. The thing that is so impressive in a FFRR/ D4 or RRS is the weight of e vehicle that can be stopped in such a short distance with the huge brakes LR fit. I "sold" an RRS for Land Rover on the strength of the performance of that car in the same accident, the guy following me in an Audi A4 acted as a witness to what happened and was so impressed how quickly the car stopped ( he nearly end up in my boot) that as I had exchanged details with him, he contacted me a few weeks later to say he had changed his A4 for. 2nd hand TDV8 RRS like mine and was delighted with in.

Years a go i had the same scenario in a 325i sport bmw , the car was hard to control.

If this car has a good winter , i may never go back to other brands
Reference URL's