babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Powered tailgate a gimmick?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've seen a lot of people saying these are the really good, but I have just got back from holiday (only saw 4 Evoques in over 2000 miles of driving) where I had a powered tailgate on the hire car.
What I felt from using it was that the time when you really needed it was when it was the least useful.
Let me explain...

When I was fully loaded up with suitcases hand luggage etc, was when I really would have liked the boot to power open on my approach so that I could load everything straight in, but because of being fully laden, I would have to get to the car, put some stuff down on the floor, and after pressing the remote wait patiently for the boot to open. I could have done this quicker myself manually, and with the UK climate it would undoubtedly be raining when I would be in this situation if I had ordered it on my Evoque.
I also worried when it powered open in car parks with low ceilings.

Just wondered what other peoples thoughts on this were, but also glad I didn't spec it now as well.
I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.
(17-06-2012 04:36pm)3V0QU3 Wrote: [ -> ]I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.

+1, it is one of those options and I will need to spec on my next car and the next etc. Really useful.
(17-06-2012 04:36pm)3V0QU3 Wrote: [ -> ]I love my powered tailgate. Most days when I get home from work i can press the button before I get out of the car, then pick up my laptop and tap the button to close it whilst I walk off. No more dirty hands from touching the dirty boot.
+2, always end up with dirt from the Freelander tailgate, so glad it's powered on Evoque.
Don't get me wrong, I do think it is at least a little bit useful, and perhaps the hire car I had was just slow in opening/closing, but the fact that when you would find it most useful (i.e. with your hands full in the pouring rain), was when it became the least useful thing to have.

I'm glad that at least I have had a chance to try a car with it, so for my own personal peace of mind I won't keep wondering if I should have added it as an option.

I don't mind getting my hands a little bit dirty opening the boot Laughing
I scratched the boot last week after opening my powered tailgate in an NCP car Park. There was enough clearance apart from a pipe that ran along the roof. It was this pipe that scratched the car. I'm glad I got it as an option but I really should have been more careful in judging the roof height including the pipe.
Fr the situations described of having full arms and needing to put stuff down before pressing the button, Ford has the answer already. A foot/ leg operated sensor under the rear valance of the car. Not sure if it is the new Focus or the version of their Freelander that has it as an option. Won't be long before everybody is fitting them I expect
Wouldn't be without it now. So much more inclined to put stuff in the boot than dump it on the back seats!

The other half has a bad back/neck so it saves hassle for her as well.

However it's back into the dealer tomorrow to be checked under warranty as it often stops when part opened! Of course it won't happen when they get it in but fortunately I have plenty of photographic evidence! As the tailgate is slightly misaligned I think this could be hindering the mechanism? So not all good news with these added optionsSad
Have you tried resetting the limit setting to see if you haven't accidentally reset it at some time?
(17-06-2012 09:43pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Have you tried resetting the limit setting to see if you haven't accidentally reset it at some time?

Thx. it's totally random when it does it but when it does it's always about 18" after it starts to open. Could be something to do with the safety mechanism?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's