babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Oil Colour
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My SD4 has done almost 5k miles now and when I checked the oil today it is black. On previous cars the oil seems to stay almost new looking until at least 40-50k miles. Is this normal for a LR or should I be concerned?
That's normal with a diesel
What tim said! I drove my Beemer 50 miles home after last service and the oil was already black when I checked it.
Thanks Tim. Had wondered this myself when I topped up with a litre at just 3,500miles!
'stay almost new looking until at least 40-50k miles'

Sorry just noticed this part of your post, please tell me you don't do 50k miles on the same oil!!??
No, it was changed at service intervals, but the oil in my 2.2D X-Type Jag looked new even just before a service for years, but it sounds like that is not typical.
Thanks for your help, I was worried that something was wrong with it.
Do we need to be topping up the oil regularky
You shouldn't be using much, after 9 months mine is still at 3/4 dipstick. If the level drops below half dipstick by all means add some, if it gets to the low/ minimum level then yes you must top up, but also you need to find out where the oil is going to!
(08-05-2012 12:23am)vinda Wrote: [ -> ]Do we need to be topping up the oil regularky

No, only if you need to, but you should be checking it regularly... especially when new.
I'm hopeing it will be like my Disco. After 5 years, never had to put a drop of oil in her (it was changed once ayear on a LR service Wink )
The same goes for my Transit.
Tim,
Your a man how has owned many a LR, did any of yours need topping up though out the year?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's