babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Flimsy roof skin??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just washed my car for the first time. got to say i am staggered by how flimsy the roof skin is.

Not much pressure at all causes it to pop and bend, i know its not structural but it could be a bit more substatial.
(13-04-2012 04:47pm)ED209 Wrote: [ -> ]Not much pressure at all causes it to pop and bend, i know its not structural but it could be a bit more substatial.

Then you'd be moaning about your fuel consumption being high, due to the heavy roof Twisted Evil
So there is another reason to have the pano roof then, at least it doesn't pop and bang or dent easily...................... well not until it breaks!
(13-04-2012 04:47pm)ED209 Wrote: [ -> ]Just washed my car for the first time. got to say i am staggered by how flimsy the roof skin is.

Not much pressure at all causes it to pop and bend, i know its not structural but it could be a bit more substatial.

Did you see the roof in the crash test video? It rippled like a pebble dropped in a pond! Shocked I imagine what limited strength it has relies on its ridged shape.
(13-04-2012 04:55pm)Sarcastrix Wrote: [ -> ]Then you'd be moaning about your fuel consumption being high, due to the heavy roof Twisted Evil

Yep one of those weight saving opportunities together with an acute lack of soundproofing for when it rains!
The roof is made out of aluminum if I recall correctly?
As is the bonnet (have you tried lifting that yet)? Lighterweight components make the car more...nimble
(13-04-2012 04:47pm)ED209 Wrote: [ -> ]Just washed my car for the first time. got to say i am staggered by how flimsy the roof skin is.

How did you get on with the Travall dog guard, as I have bought one but but don't have my car yet, was wondering did it clip in behind the seats ok and is it sturdy enough and no rattles
(13-04-2012 10:52pm)johnboy Wrote: [ -> ]How did you get on with the Travall dog guard, as I have bought one but but don't have my car yet, was wondering did it clip in behind the seats ok and is it sturdy enough and no rattles

The dog guard is great, took about 10 mins to assemble, clipping it in takes about 30 seconds and it is rock solid, no squeaks or rattles.
(14-04-2012 09:08am)ED209 Wrote: [ -> ]The dog guard is great, took about 10 mins to assemble, clipping it in takes about 30 seconds and it is rock solid, no squeaks or rattles.

Thanks for that info, it is reassuring that once i get my car that it will fit ok, and it won't rattle, and saved a packet from not buying LR half height dog guard
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's