babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Well that's just typical!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Like many on this forum in drought-ridden southern England, I washed my car on Sunday taking a little extra care to clean it thoroughly including underneath etc.

I drive home this evening - the eve of the hosepipe ban - and it's tipping down with rain.

I just know my car will look like I've driven it through a field in the morning... Wink

Outraged of surburbia
(03-04-2012 09:54pm)abcya Wrote: [ -> ]Like many on this forum in drought-ridden southern England, I washed my car on Sunday taking a little extra care to clean it thoroughly including underneath etc.

I drive home this evening - the eve of the hosepipe ban - and it's tipping down with rain.

I just know my car will look like I've driven it through a field in the morning... Wink

Outraged of surburbia

Don't worry...be happy. All LR's look good dirtyLaughing
You have one more day. Hopepipe ban, at least for Thames Water, starts on 5 April. I have at least 2 cars to clean today...

Actually, I'm not convinced that washing a car with a jet wash is that much worse than buckets. Sure, aimlessly playing a low pressure hose over a car will waste water but using a jet wash to wet the surface, loosen the dirt before hand washing and then rinsing beats chucking buckets of water over the car.

The rain yesterday helpfully replenished my water butts and my jet wash can such water from one of those.
I like my cars like I like my women...dirty! Bring on the ban!
The guy who used to come to do the odd detail of my RRS and FFRR has recently had to buy a portable dam thing to drive the car into and that then collects all the water used for washing the car. This isn't for water shortage reasons it is a requirement of the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency to prevent the chemical run-off from car washing from entering the water run-off system as they reckon it kills the little fishes and plants in the streams and rivers........
I suppose you could collect the run-off water to a water butt and re-use it after letting it settlout in a similar system in areas with a hose ban. Oddly he can detail your car on his site with out the dam so I assume he has some sort of water collection system there.
Best I go read the destructions for my jet washer. I'd not considered it being able to suck water from a garden water butt. I agree that particularly with a trigger action it uses a lot less water than a regular hose. Also not convinced by the 'three buckets and you're done' argument on the comments below the Auto Express article.
Reference URL's