babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Auto Headlights Sensitvity
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Driving home last yesterday in bright sunshine at about 18:30, as i got into a built up area out of direct sunlight but full daylight my headlights came on. this was far too early. Nobody else had lights on.
Is it possible to adjust the level at which they come on. My Audi used to have that facility so it is possible.
I feel the same. I think LR got some stick in the past for there auto lights being too slow to come on, now it's gone the other way.
It used to be half way though the Bell way tunnel before the lights came in in my Discovery, now there on if the sensor just sees a dark corner & yes the area around the sensor is clean.
The auto lights on my Tranist are some ware inbetween that, which works very well.
As for any adjustment, not seen it any ware.
I would much prefer them to come on too early than too late, which as Doug says was the case with the system on older Land and Range Rover cars.
Compared to my last BMW I think they come on too slowly - going into tunnels for example they seem to take a couple of seconds whereas the BMW was virtually instant.
I find it puzzeling that they came on at all as it was still daylight. I wonder if the sensor decides on the difference in lighting level eg from bright sun into normal daylight shaded by buildings = big difference in light levels therefore the lights will turn on, as opposed to light levels falling below a set value and the lights coming on
I used to get something similar on my A4 Cab when going under trees in summer, the lights would come on, they seemed to fix that on the A5
I don't use the auto lights for this reason...bit of a waste but seems daft that I'm driving with lights on in daylight...feel a right posy plonker!!!
(27-03-2012 01:36pm)Daigriff Wrote: [ -> ]I don't use the auto lights for this reason...bit of a waste but seems daft that I'm driving with lights on in daylight...feel a right posy plonker!!!

we are all driving one of the most sort after cars in the world, dont think having are lights on in day time will make much difference Very Happy
(27-03-2012 08:42am)speary Wrote: [ -> ]Driving home last yesterday in bright sunshine at about 18:30, as i got into a built up area out of direct sunlight but full daylight my headlights came on. this was far too early. Nobody else had lights on.
Is it possible to adjust the level at which they come on. My Audi used to have that facility so it is possible.

I thought it was a Northern England setting that the dealers enabled, see its usually cloudy, dark and miserable but i noticed yesterday in actual bright sunlight at around 6pm the lights came on on auto.
I actually prefer the way the lights come on earlier than most. I have had one issue though, in fog the lights will come on, however if the sun breaks through, the lights will go out so will the fogs, no issue with that. However I did not notice, drove into thick fog, flashing other drivers without headlights on, but neither did IShocked

I was lulled in a false sense of security that the the auto setting will keep the headlights on in fog, it does not, I will now switch to manual on setting for those conditions.
I currently drive an Insignia, and the saying goes that the headlights for these come on if it's a midsummer day, at mid-day, not a cloud in the sky and then you drive under a telegrah wire, they come on.
It annoys me that they come on when it's far too light.

Would it be that difficult to allow some adjustment? After all you can do this with the intermitent windscreen wiper.
Reference URL's