babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Adaptive Xenon Headlamps & High Beam Assist
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Out of curiosity does anyone currently have this option (Adaptive Headlights or High Beam Assist) on their current vehicles and is it worth having as an upgrade option?

I'm tempted by the adaptive xenon's but most of my driving is city/urban and the high beam assist option may not be needed but the price for it is not that high - only reservations is xenon headlights are quite bright and would feel slightly anxious every time on coming traffic approached whether the high beam assist would work efficiently as manual operation.
(07-06-2011 07:51am)Alex Wrote: [ -> ]Out of curiosity does anyone currently have this option (Adaptive Headlights or High Beam Assist) on their current vehicles and is it worth having as an upgrade option?

I'm tempted by the adaptive xenon's but most of my driving is city/urban and the high beam assist option may not be needed but the price for it is not that high - only reservations is xenon headlights are quite bright and would feel slightly anxious every time on coming traffic approached whether the high beam assist would work efficiently as manual operation.

I have it on my BMW. The adaptive lights swivel as you turn the steering wheel so "bend" the light around corners. It's mainly useful if you drive along country lanes. A static sidelight also illuminates corners at junctions when you are indicating/turning the wheel.

High beam assist is less useful. Once activated it switches from dipped to high beam if you are driving in almost complete darkness and there's no traffic in front of you and no approaching traffic. There's a sensor above the rear view mirror that detects headlight and tail-lights. Sometimes I feel that it takes a little longer than I'd like for the high beam lights to switch back to dipped beam when there's an oncoming car. It won't work it there's road lighting, either in cities/suburbs on motorways. To be honest it's something I can easily do myself but it was part of a package for the BM. Hope this helps
I have adaptive Xenons on my Lexus as well. I think it's useful but I wouldn't order it as a separate option (so I didn't on the Evoque). I don't drive on country lanes a lot, and the degree of bending is quite limited anyway.

Same for high beam assist. Now that I think about it... don't think I've used my high beams even once during last year. Maybe it's because of the country I live in (small and very urbanized). I do 20k a year but most of my driving is in cities or on highways where you don't use high beams.
I've added the Xenons (blame Tim) as supposed to be good if you drive a lot of country lanes which we live at the end of one.

Didn't rate the HBA and from what mb8388 as written not that effective. Nice to have all the gadgets but think that's one I can live without.
I live in the country and have adaptive zenons on my BMW. I find them very useful and after nearly 4 years find it really strange when I go in a car without them. I find they follow corners well and have speced them for the Evoque. I started off with specing the high beam assist but have now taken it off as I reckon my finger is just as quick flicking a stalk!
Are you near Pulborough griff? Family used to live at Codmore Hill. Lovely lovely part of the country. Need your Xenons Very Happy
(08-06-2011 08:17am)Charlie Wrote: [ -> ]Are you near Pulborough griff? Family used to live at Codmore Hill. Lovely lovely part of the country. Need your Xenons Very Happy
Live in Petworth Charlie. Buying the car from just down the road Harwoods Pulborough. What a small world.
Alex's parents live in Steyning.
I live in God's country, that's why it is now a National Park. You are right about the zenons, some of the back roads round here are very wiggly and the adaptive lights really work well. would not be without them now.
And straight down to the coast, great. Wished we were nearer to the sea. Brighton would be our quickest but still nearly a couple of hours with the M25 to contend with.
My folks live in Steyning and the drive down from my place in Bristol is usually fine until you hit the M25, however that will change as soon as I get my Evoque, and the journey will be less exhausting due to being to asorbed by the new vehicle (let's hope the novelty doesn't wear off too quickly).
That's a bit of a hike but a nice car makes all the difference. Looking forward to an auto for all those motorway jams.

How you getting on with your options Alex?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's