babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Ohhh no.....engine trouble
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I thought I'd Share my latest Evoque experience and get some views.

Very hot day in Melbourne yesterday and the car had spent a bit of time driving around with air con on. Turned it off to pickup the wife and waited a few mins in the car with it off.
Turned it back on, and wow!!!! A MASSIVE amount of smoke and steam from under the car and through all the gaps in the engine bay. I mean LOTS ! Obviously turned it off immediately.

Got out, saw a small puddle of green radiator fluid, but im talking maybe the size of a saucer plate. Poped the bonnet, and everything looked fine. No obvious fluids. Rang the dealer, and advised to check the engine temp on ignition but it was normal. Let the car sit, started her up and let it idle. Engine temp stayed normal and no more steam or fluid. Decided to drive it and car drove normal and stayed at the correct temp the entire way. Decided not to try the air con though.

It's now spending its 4th time back at the dealer to trouble shoot the problem.
CryingEmbarrassed
That is no good buddy, sorry to here your troubles. I have no mechanical mind so i would not know where to start with the problem. I would be straight down to the dealers though. Hope all is good.
It's amazing how 1 leaky radiator pipe can make it seem like the worlds caved in, probably just that!
Don't treat it lightly, I had the same experience with an MG Maestro years ago, both the dealership and the AA said it would be OK to drive so I did, to the dealers service bay about 10 miles away................ it was "only" a core plug that had dropped out! Fortunately no damage done.
Yes indeed, the fact its lost some radiator fluid means back to the dealers for a checkup!
UPDATE
Ok, got the call from the dealer this morning.

It seems the huge amounts of steam, was in fact Air conditioning compressor gas. The story is: The bolt on the main compressor gasket was not done up correctly from the factory. Over time, it has slowly unthreaded itself and the gaskey has blown out, causing the huge release of steam / gas. The small puddle of green fluid has been explained as compressor oil which contains a green dye to help diagnose leaks.

I hope they're right! Thankfully nothing 'engine' related. Picking her up today.
They'll be right, before I read down to this post it sounded like a/c gas and the green would have been the dye.

Glad they got it sorted Smile
Good news and Interesting for us mnd, thanks for letting us know the reason.
Reference URL's