babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Snow test 20" Conti UHP on Evoque (non m&s) vs 20" Pirelli Scorpion Zero (m&s) on Disco 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Really wanted to see how bad the Contis might be in snow...and the good news is they are really not that bad.

Just did a short back road test drive loop nearby which includes hills steep enough that 2wds get abandoned at the bottom and a useful little uphill Offroad section.

Took the Disco first which of course shrugged off the snow in its typical 'snow, what snow?' way that makes you feel invincible.

So, returned home and ventured out in the Evoque shod with its 20" Conti UHP non m&s rated fat rubber and expected to quickly get a cold sweat. No worries though. It was way better than I expected. Hill starts on the steep section had a very small amount of wheelspin which was quickly reined in by the traction control. Sure it didn't feel anyway near as secure as the Disco but I'd happily take it out again without worries - well apart for those idiots in their 2wds who think its a good idea to speed down a hill so they have momentum to get up the other side!

Interestingly the HDC in the Evoque was as effective as the Disco and it was far easier to fine tune its action using cruise buttons and the excellent bar graphic that comes up on the instrument panel.

Disclaimer: This doesn't mean I think the Contis are OK for a full on winter tyre. The snow was very wet which makes it easier fir the tyres to clear and there was no ice. If I was heading to the Alps then I'd be looking for an m&s tyre no question. But for the short spells of snow we have where I live I think they will be OK. And, hey if it gets bad the Evoque will stay tucked up in the garage as I'll grab the keys to the Disco which is also more likely to fend off those numpties spinning around in their bmws too!

Get in your Evoque and enjoy the snow - but treat it with respect and drive defensively giving others huge margins.
Excellent, thanks - that's the info I've been hoping to read. I live nr High Wycombe and we live in a valley so lots of steep hills to negotiate. My Disco 4 had no trouble at all but I was kinda worried as to how the UHP's will perform but driven cautiously it sounds as though it'll be fine.

Already a few 2wd cars given up trying to get down our road let alone attempt the hill at the end!
Quejumper, I'm very surprised that you appear not to be able to fine tune the HDC on for D4 using the cruise buttons as easily as in the Evoque, I thought D4 had the same system as all the other more recent Land and Range Rovers. Certainly my 2005 RRS could fine tune the speed and so could both my 2007 RRS and the 2010 FFRR.
The difference with HDC on the Evoque is the display - you can see exactly what it's set at and how your speed is dropping to meet it. I couldn't see anything like that on the Disco? So it's the user interface that makes it easier rather than any major difference in the system itself.
Reference URL's