babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Reverse issues with auto transmission?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Has anyone had any problems with their gear changer in reverse?

I was trying to reverse into a parking spot today so I pulled in front of it and put on the brake, turned the knob to R then tried to reverse but nothing happened. It was in a weird "limbo" state where nothing was happening- the backup camera didn't come on and I don't think the mirrors tilted down. It was definitely in R, though. I was trying to figure out what was going on but cars were starting to line up to get by so I just put it back in D and drove away.

I couldn't recreate the issue later but I've only had the car a couple of days.

I thought I couldn't get the car out of D the other day while trying to park when I realized that I was ever so slightly pushing down on the knob while turning it.... Embarrassed
If you don't press the brake enough it won't engage. I've had it before and R flashes on the instrument panel.
(02-02-2012 09:41am)dandavis1 Wrote: [ -> ]If you don't press the brake enough it won't engage. I've had it before and R flashes on the instrument panel.

I have had the flashing R with light brake depression before but on 2 occasions now it was totally in R with the light on solid and the brake firmly depressed with no transmission engagement.

Someone else posted similar issues on another Evoque forum as well.

*shrug*
Mine has done that once - maybe twice. I just put it into P then back into R and it worked.
Has happened to me a couple of times too. It's on my list of niggles to speak to the dealer about.
Another weird thing has been happening the past couple of weeks. On 2 occasions now, when I put the car in R the navigation comes on instead of rear facing camera. It stayed on when I went back into D/S too. I almost never use the nav so it's not like it was in that mode then it switched back into it.

I think I will only drive forward from now on...
(05-04-2012 07:22am)o|||||o Wrote: [ -> ]I think I will only drive forward from now on...

Laughing

Reverse has failed to engage a couple of times for me...it's happened when ive been a little hasty and tried to engage before coming to a complete stop I think...seems to confuse it. Both times I just engaged Park and then tried again which sorted it.
Why is there ever a need to put the parking brake on? It comes on automatically in Park, and you have the brake hold facility for times when you are paused on an incline steep enough to otherwise need the hand brake (while you engage reverse, for example). On top of which, if your car is automatic none of that is a problem anyway, so the Evoque automatic's system is 'belt and braces'.
I put the parking brake on when the car is in D or in N and stopped at traffic lights otherwise my high level rear light burns the eyes out of the driver behind me. Also in theory if you come to a STOP line on a junction, unless you have put the parking brake on you haven't officially stopped.
I have a different issue with auto in reverse. Recently, when reversing very slowly (for example into a tight car parking space) with foot lightly on brake pedal, the engine judders with vibration felt through the brake pedal. It feels as if the engine is about to stall.

Would anyone have any experience of this/ideas what it could be please?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's