babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Tracker ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I heard that the suppliers of the original system used by LR went down the tubes in September. It was a very sophisticated system, so just check what has been fitted as it may not be what you think. I have a "dealer fitted" system fitted by a subcontractor to Looker Park Royal.
(29-01-2012 09:53am)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]I heard that the suppliers of the original system used by LR went down the tubes in September. It was a very sophisticated system, so just check what has been fitted as it may not be what you think. I have a "dealer fitted" system fitted by a subcontractor to Looker Park Royal.

Tim, mine was fitted at the dealer too. Its managed and run by Trafficmaster so maybe LR are now using them as they are a pretty big company.
Yes that is the same system as I have but it was fitted by a subcontractor to LPR. I also had the same one on my FFRR. I was surprised that my insurers didn't require one on the FFRR or the Evoque and don't give any discount for having it either but having had two attempts to steal my 2010MY FFRR I thought it a wise precaution to fit it to the Evoque as well
(29-01-2012 10:01am)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Yes that is the same system as I have but it was fitted by a subcontractor to LPR. I also had the same one on my FFRR. I was surprised that my insurers didn't require one on the FFRR or the Evoque and don't give any discount for having it either but having had two attempts to steal my 2010MY FFRR I thought it a wise precaution to fit it to the Evoque as well

When you say 2 attempts....did they damage your car trying to steal it? How did you know?
1st occassion they broke into my house in the dead of night. They turned the house upside down looking for the keys which were not in the house, one of my neighbours noticed my curtains were fully closed when the previous day they had been opened and I was overseas, she called my parents and the police.
On the 2nd occassion another of my neighbours who is very noctural was watching TV at 3am with the curtains open and saw a white van pull up outside my house (about 2 months after the first attempt), the vehicle came into the courtyard with its lights out and driving very slowly. She call the local (16 miles away) police office and sat and watched what was going on but then she switched on her hall lights and the van sped off. She had noted the number plate too but that proved to be false. The police suspect that the van crew were back to have a 2nd attempt at taking the FFRR and that having been foiled twice wouldn't be back. There was no visible damage to the car only to my house. On the same night as the first attempt there were two further attempts to steal a Disco4 and an RRS from outside houses in the village were I live, neither car was taken but the other houses were unoccupied, same as mine at the time
After reading that I think I will get a tracker after all!
It wouldn't have stopped the car being driven away but like most modern cars they would have needed the keys to get passed the deadlocking and the immobiliser which is why the lowlifes turn over your house trying to find them.
With the bigger Ranges you can do a huge amount of damage to the transmission if you try to move them without the gearbox in neutral, and without the key you cannot shift the gear selector, same as you cannot remove the key without P being selected, which is another deterent to towing them away - the repairs afterward would render the theft unprofitable and even lifting them would set off the tilt sensor. In the newer FFRR's there is also laminated side glass which makes it very quiet inside but also resistant to having hammers thrown againt the glass and glass cutters used to remove windows
... I had given up the idea of camera overlooking my drive as unnecessary paranoia. I even announced my back down yesterday while out with the wife. She seemed relieved.

But after reading your posts Tim, I'm fairly positive that the camera is a go, and also the tracker. Oh and more door/window sensors. And big dog. And I might move the mother-in-law in ...
Remember that if you install cctv or a webcam to watch your drive you are required by law to post notices stating that CCTV / webcams are in use! Isn't our country crazy, you have to warn thieves that you are going to invade their privacy while they steal from you!
(30-01-2012 03:50am)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Remember that if you install cctv or a webcam to watch your drive you are required by law to post notices stating that CCTV / webcams are in use! Isn't our country crazy, you have to warn thieves that you are going to invade their privacy while they steal from you!

Apparently, but don't quote me, the signs don't have to be neon, huge, or very prominent - as long as you have a window sticker to warn the prospective burglar that he needs to wear a hoody, balaclava, scarf round his face, etc, to protect his identity, then you are ok ...

Our law is an ass.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's