babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Full beam clunking
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
anyone notice a very loud clunking sound when activating full beam (presumably due to motor activation to realign xenon lights) but I have never noticed this as loud in any other car. Very loud especially inside and without driving noise.
I thought the full beam was a separate lamp - so no mechanical movement.

Sounds like a fault - I'd get the dealer to look and ask who did the pre-sale check!
too loud to be a relay?
Mmm, not sure- definitely sounds like a mechanical movement and only happens when full beam selected. Was shown at handover and it was then the issue was raised by salesman. "Ive never heard that before". Technician looked and said "he wasnt sure", "youll need to bring it back in".
There is a significant noise (although I would stop short of a clunk) with my car when the full beam is activated. I just assumed this was a "feature" of the Xenons.
Some Xenon headlamps have a solenoid controlled blade or shutter that blocks off part of the internal headlamp reflector bowl to achieved dipped beam - especially in pre-focussed 'fish eye' lense headlamps like the Evoque has.

I suspect from the noise you describe that you are hearing the solenoid actuator moving in and out.
Reference URL's