Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Full beam clunking
gw76

Full beam clunking

anyone notice a very loud clunking sound when activating full beam (presumably due to motor activation to realign xenon lights) but I have never noticed this as loud in any other car. Very loud especially inside and without driving noise.
01-12-2011 10:52pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Grah

RE: Full beam clunking

I thought the full beam was a separate lamp - so no mechanical movement.

Sounds like a fault - I'd get the dealer to look and ask who did the pre-sale check!
01-12-2011 11:01pm
cjfp

too loud to be a relay?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-12-2011 11:07pm
gw76

Mmm, not sure- definitely sounds like a mechanical movement and only happens when full beam selected. Was shown at handover and it was then the issue was raised by salesman. "Ive never heard that before". Technician looked and said "he wasnt sure", "youll need to bring it back in".
01-12-2011 11:22pm
leesug

There is a significant noise (although I would stop short of a clunk) with my car when the full beam is activated. I just assumed this was a "feature" of the Xenons.

Pure SD4 Manual, Orkney Grey with Black interior, pure style pack, Xenons and a range of dealer fit extras that added £1k to my bill! (managed to secure a showroom car)
Ex too many, but slightly interesting Porsche 911 3.2, 996, 928 * 2, Saab, BMW, Merc a plenty....
02-12-2011 09:23am
Straydox

Some Xenon headlamps have a solenoid controlled blade or shutter that blocks off part of the internal headlamp reflector bowl to achieved dipped beam - especially in pre-focussed 'fish eye' lense headlamps like the Evoque has.

I suspect from the noise you describe that you are hearing the solenoid actuator moving in and out.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
02-12-2011 11:32am