babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Cobra Tracking systems
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone

I want to get a tracking system on my Evoque as i drive to europe a few times a year.
After trawling the web i am thinking that the cobra tracking system is looking like the one i will install.
There website says the are the official tracker supplier for and i quote
Audi, Bentley, Ferrari, Infiniti, Lamborghini, Maserati, McLaren, Mercedes-Benz Trucks, Nissan, Porsche, Renault and Tesla.
This list seems impressive to me and im thinking if its good enough for these cars its gotta be about the best for an Evoque!
So has anyone installed a cobra system or had one, and what are your impressions? or am i completely wrong to go for cobra and should i go for something else.
Your thought would be much appreciated. Many thanks Onebigjobby Smile
I have the Porsche VTS (Vehicle Tracking System) which is a Cobra system and it works fine. Keep in mind there is an annual monitoring fee (about £200 but the detail offer will vary) but this is more than offset by the reduction in insurance cost.

The issue is that an after-market tracking system must necessarily splice into the existing wiring which may void your electrical warranty - it does in the case of Porsche, for example.

It's always better if the installation is anticipated and the necessary wiring connections (for example, power, armed/unarmed, door open etc) are provided by the vehicle manufacturer. I thought LR had done this for their own branded tracking system but I may be wrong.
I had the Porsche VTS system too and for me, the only annoying thing is the ADR. Its a small fob that you need to have with you at all times (preferably not with the keys), otherwise the system emits a signal to the monitoring station.

I believe the ADR is part of all cobra trackers.
I have this one http://trackmefree.com/viewitem.php?productid=2 in my Evoque, it is fully self contained and just sticks on with magnetic back. I have put it behind the pull out on the left side of the boot, it does not have a full view of the sky but works perfectly well and the best thing is it does not need any wiring just charge it up and stick it on. it is supposed to last 60 days between charges, I have had it in 2 weeks and it still shows 68% charge so maybe it will. Downside is it is not insurance company approved but at less then £200 with no subscription fees I think it is well worth it for the peace of mind.

Unfortunatly the tracker is still telling me my car is back at the dealer again trying to sort out the steering problem!
Why worry about it unless your insurance company specifies you must have one which I thought was unlikely on sub50k cars?
I was a victim of an attempted car jacking a while back and as the car will be transporting my children, this is the only reason I want it. If the car was ever stolen would rather get a pay out the rather than It being recovered and me having to drive it after some dirty scumbag has. This is the only downside of the tracker.
Tracker is also a good name.
So you want a real time tracker then? There's loads of these around which can power off 12v and come out cheaper than dedicated theft protection systems.
I am planning on fitting this to my car

http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/content/1...cking.html
(21-11-2011 08:58pm)Mag1c_dragon Wrote: [ -> ]I am planning on fitting this to my car

http://www.trafficmaster.co.uk/content/1...cking.html

Are the any insurance benefits with this?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's