babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: I've sprung a leak!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
A few weeks ago I posted that my windows were steaming up sometimes well the problem has gotten worse and I discovered that the driver footwell was soaking under my mats. Turns out water is leaking in but the dealer can't see from where. My car is booked in to the body shop for a few days a week on Monday so they can pull it apart to find out if the leak is from the door or bulk head (or anywhere else). Anyone else experienced the same problem?
Hope they find it. Depending on the extent, you should insist on new carpets because, believe me, the smell will never really go. I had a VW Scirocco once and there was so much water in the driver's footwell, you could run a cup across it and fill it. They never really found out how the water was getting in and the car smelled like a damp dog until the day I sold it.
Hopefully it's nothing major but that doesn't sound good at all Exclamation
Mark I was going to ask for new carpets as I am worried about dampness. I suspect it has being leaking since day 1. My friend teased me before I had my evoque that I would never be out of the garage with it as mark 1 LR/RRs always have problems - I'm hoping he's wrong!
PJ, you are right to be worried about dampness. There will be parts of the car inside which were never intended to be exposed to water which is why many cars which are flooded are written off - the damage to electronics, cabling, finishing materials is just too great.

Replacing the carpets is quite a big job because the seats have to come out and the carpets are typically retained at each side by the trim below each door. I've no experience of LR, but on other cars, that trim has fish-hook type rachet fixings which are not designed to be released and it's worth getting to know before the car goes in how it fits and feels so that you can tell how good it is on return. Typically, the fixing points break when you remove the trim and they may or may not replace with new.

Don't want to be a scaremonger, but properly sorting this problem out is fairly major even if the cause turns out to be nothing more than a mis-fitted rubber seal in the bulkhead. The problem is, water has got where it is not meant to go, so its not just a case of fixing the leak but the effects of the water which has got in.

Any idea how the water got in there? Just wet roads? A car wash? Wading through a river or ford? The car is meant to be tested for water leaks by passing it through what looks like a big car wash so somebody was asleep on the job while this was being done.

I hope you are insisting on a loan car while the dealer completes the manufacturing process which the negligent Land Rover failed to.
Possibly a leak from the aircon system - damaged or misrouted drain pipe perhaps.
Sure you didn't pee yourself with excitement when you picked your car up?! Laughing
(12-11-2011 06:47pm)cjfp Wrote: [ -> ]Sure you didn't pee yourself with excitement when you picked your car up?! Laughing

Without explaining the biology, Chris, I expect the seat would be wet in that case as well...
He might have (he hasn't said he doesn't ) or he might not have spotted it yet!
I know someone who had this problem witha vw and it turned out to be an aircon leak.
Whoops, just seen martin write the same thing.
Pages: 1 2 3
Reference URL's