Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I've sprung a leak!
PJ

I've sprung a leak!

A few weeks ago I posted that my windows were steaming up sometimes well the problem has gotten worse and I discovered that the driver footwell was soaking under my mats. Turns out water is leaking in but the dealer can't see from where. My car is booked in to the body shop for a few days a week on Monday so they can pull it apart to find out if the leak is from the door or bulk head (or anywhere else). Anyone else experienced the same problem?

Arrived! OG 5dr Dynamic, shadow chromes, pano roof and few other bits.
12-11-2011 10:27am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

RE: I've sprung a leak!

Hope they find it. Depending on the extent, you should insist on new carpets because, believe me, the smell will never really go. I had a VW Scirocco once and there was so much water in the driver's footwell, you could run a cup across it and fill it. They never really found out how the water was getting in and the car smelled like a damp dog until the day I sold it.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
12-11-2011 11:00am
PAT

Hopefully it's nothing major but that doesn't sound good at all Exclamation

Current: Si4 - HSE Dynamic Lux - Corris Grey with Black Pano - Adaptive Dynamics - ATPC - Adaptive LED Headlights - Privacy Glass - Style 508's - Heated Steering Wheel - Spare Wheel - Ebony Headlining
Previous: Si4 - Dynamic 5 Door - Lux - Orkney Grey with Black Pano
12-11-2011 04:53pm
PJ

Mark I was going to ask for new carpets as I am worried about dampness. I suspect it has being leaking since day 1. My friend teased me before I had my evoque that I would never be out of the garage with it as mark 1 LR/RRs always have problems - I'm hoping he's wrong!

Arrived! OG 5dr Dynamic, shadow chromes, pano roof and few other bits.
12-11-2011 06:10pm
mark_n

PJ, you are right to be worried about dampness. There will be parts of the car inside which were never intended to be exposed to water which is why many cars which are flooded are written off - the damage to electronics, cabling, finishing materials is just too great.

Replacing the carpets is quite a big job because the seats have to come out and the carpets are typically retained at each side by the trim below each door. I've no experience of LR, but on other cars, that trim has fish-hook type rachet fixings which are not designed to be released and it's worth getting to know before the car goes in how it fits and feels so that you can tell how good it is on return. Typically, the fixing points break when you remove the trim and they may or may not replace with new.

Don't want to be a scaremonger, but properly sorting this problem out is fairly major even if the cause turns out to be nothing more than a mis-fitted rubber seal in the bulkhead. The problem is, water has got where it is not meant to go, so its not just a case of fixing the leak but the effects of the water which has got in.

Any idea how the water got in there? Just wet roads? A car wash? Wading through a river or ford? The car is meant to be tested for water leaks by passing it through what looks like a big car wash so somebody was asleep on the job while this was being done.

I hope you are insisting on a loan car while the dealer completes the manufacturing process which the negligent Land Rover failed to.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 06:54pm by mark_n.)
12-11-2011 06:42pm
Martin
Site Admin & Owner

Possibly a leak from the aircon system - damaged or misrouted drain pipe perhaps.
12-11-2011 06:46pm
cjfp

Sure you didn't pee yourself with excitement when you picked your car up?! Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-11-2011 06:47pm
mark_n

(12-11-2011 06:47pm)cjfp Wrote:  Sure you didn't pee yourself with excitement when you picked your car up?! Laughing

Without explaining the biology, Chris, I expect the seat would be wet in that case as well...

Mark

(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 06:55pm by mark_n.)
12-11-2011 06:55pm
cjfp

He might have (he hasn't said he doesn't ) or he might not have spotted it yet!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
12-11-2011 07:05pm
DDX

I've sprung a leak!

I know someone who had this problem witha vw and it turned out to be an aircon leak.
Whoops, just seen martin write the same thing.

Evoque 5dr Dynamic SD4 Auto, Fuji/Vortex, 20" Style 7's, Panoramic Roof, Ebony Headlining, Keyless Entry, Premium Mats, Heated S/W, Park Assist, Power Tailgate, Privacy Glass, Spare Wheel

Very Happy ARRIVED Very Happy
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 07:14pm by DDX.)
12-11-2011 07:14pm