babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Evoque v BMW 1 series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have now sold my BMW 123d coupe in preparation for the evoque arrival,I still go onto the baby bmw forums as I like to keep in touch with some of the members.
There was a thread about fitting BMW's with winter tyres making them invincible in the snowy weather which I joined in with as many people were saying a BMW with winter tyres will get up a hill that freelanders/evoques/rr sports etc would fail to negotiate.
There were several people who are adamant that their BMW could do the business v my forthcoming evoque.
What do you all think?I know how seriously bad my BMW was on normal tyres so I cant see it transforming into a sherman tank with a set of winter tyres?
I think that they don't know what they are talking about..................................... ask how many of them have driven a Freelander or RRS in the snow.
No BMW ever made is any match whatsoever for any LR product end of!
Vinny - call their bluff! Organize a matchup after a snowstorm. Surely the Landrover pedigree means something!!
I have a foot in both camps as I have a Z4 and RRS and there is no way i let the bmw out after mid november ... one word clearance .... i doubt a bmw would cope with this...

[Image: Robiphonepictures199.jpg]

having said that the new 1 series might look better in a snowdrift...
(31-10-2011 08:07pm)vinny Wrote: [ -> ]There was a thread about fitting BMW's with winter tyres making them invincible in the snowy weather which I joined in with as many people were saying a BMW with winter tyres will get up a hill that freelanders/evoques/rr sports etc would fail to negotiate.

Rolling with Laughter What planet are they from lol Next thing they will sugest is to look up in the sky at that pink pig.
What a load of rubbish, got to be the funniest thing I have heard in ages.
Last BMW driver who thought he could outdo a LR/RR off road owned an X5. After a morning in a RR on a LR Experience site he took his X5 round the same route in the afternoon and his X5 went home on a low loader with a twisted chassis!.

A 2 wheel drive car, even on winter tyres will not be as good as a 4x4 as it is only providing drive to one axle while the 4x4 has drive to both axles, reducing the chance of getting stuck. Clearance will also be an issue.
My money is on the LR/RR every time especially as just fitting winter tyres doesn't mean you automatically know how to drive in snow.
A simple stop and start test on an icy hill will prove which is best, having tried this many times with my disco 3 and freelander 2 without winter tyres, I know which one my money would go on.

The BMW Laughing only joking land rover every time.
(31-10-2011 08:07pm)vinny Wrote: [ -> ]There was a thread about fitting BMW's with winter tyres making them invincible in the snowy weather which I joined in with as many people were saying a BMW with winter tyres will get up a hill that freelanders/evoques/rr sports etc would fail to negotiate.

On that BMW forum, do they type 'winter tyres' because it is easier to spell than 'caterpillar tracks'?

How a BMW forum visualises a 1 series with 'winter tyres'?

[Image: 2251208086_a5370ee985_z_d.jpg]
(31-10-2011 09:19pm)rchrdleigh Wrote: [ -> ]Last BMW driver who thought he could outdo a LR/RR off road owned an X5. After a morning in a RR on a LR Experience site he took his X5 round the same route in the afternoon and his X5 went home on a low loader with a twisted chassis!.

Now that is something I would have loved to see!! Bet I know what he bought next.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's