babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Vantage or Evoque
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hey guys. I was considering an Aston Vantage or an Evoque, and had thought I had my mind made up until I saw a gorgeous white Dynamic on Belgrave Sq in London tonight (anyone on here??)

Any way anyone had any similar thoughts over the two cars? Opinions most welcome Smile
The cars could hardly be more different. There's, what, a £40k difference in price between them to start with and JLR make more Evoques in a day than Aston Martin do Vantages in 1-2 months.

The Aston is a much higher performer than the Evoque, even in its fastest guise, however, the Evoque will leave it in the dust as soon as snow comes calling. The Evoque is also a much more practical car. Servicing costs will be comparatively high on the Evoque, eye-watering on the Aston Martin - and I speak as someone who has just paid £2500 to service a Mercedes-Benz.

I could go on, but if you need to ask the question, I think you need to define what you want from the a car. If these two are really in the frame, I doubt either will meet your needs completely.
I think Mark has it right here - although used Vantages are probably available for Evoque-like money, so maybe that's why you're comparing them? But they're so very different it really does depend on what you need/want your car to do (unless you're fortunate enough to be able to have both!). My understanding of the Vantage (and I have a couple of friends who own AM products) is that it's still largely a handbuilt car and that brings pros and cons - it looks, sounds and drives amazingly but most of us will only access a small proportion of the car's potential and then only infrequently. Also if anything goes wrong I gather AM send a lorry and your car disappears for a while. I know LR have had reliability problems in the past but I'm hoping the Evoque will move past that.
Sorry I was comparing a new Evoque Dynamic to a used Vantage (circa £35k). I have no specific need for one car over the other. I have no kids etc, so just a car around London. I just generally like the two of these two particular cars Smile The only main advantage of the Evoque over the Aston for me is the boot space.

Is the servicing on the Aston really unto £2000-3000 PA? I am off-setting that against a move I am making from living in an apartment (£3k PA service charge) to a freehold house, so no service charge, so that can be my guilty pleasure! Smile
Aston is another product of great design beauty and purity, but it isn't a town car even though you see loads of them in cities. An Aston needs big wide open vistas not cramped city streets. I have just been watching a series of programmes on C4 presented by Alain de Botton about houses and house design - think of Aston as a Regency terrace house in Bath and the Evoque as a totally hip and modern Foster town house (if he were ever to design anything so small as a town house!)
Fair points there. I really do like the Aston, but the Evoque dynamic really hit me driving home this evening. I really do thin kthe Evoque seems like an all-rounder in the looks/usability stakes.

The Aston is definitely a car I "have to get out of my system" though! Love the rumble of the engine.

Has anyone owned an Evoque and car similar to the Evoque?
Several of us currently own the Evoque Dynamic, it is a terrific car and I have also owned a v8 & v12 Vantage and they are great cars too, the rumble of their engines are indeed memorable, although the v8 is the sweeter of the two cars to drive....basic servicing is £1k per year, add in tyres and incidentals and you can easily be at £3k a year, but, you have one life so buy as your heart desires, just buy wisely and if in doubt have an AM Dealer complete a pre-sales Inspection for you for circa £300 as that should ensure you buy one with your eyes wide open!!!
As someone who has both a freehold house and a flat with a (in my case, £9k pa) service charge, don't for one minute think that you'll save your service charge completely. In my case, it covers maintenance, insurance, security, gym, swimming pool some of which at least you will need to start paying for directly with a freehold house.

Depreciation on new Astons is fearsome, buying secondhand will at least reduce your depreciation but it needs to have a perfect maintenance record.

You might also want to check out the insurance if you have nowhere to keep the Aston securely. That alone might put you off.
Jesus people on here must have a lot more money than me, your 9k service charge would pay my years mortgage payments very very nearly twice over.
Completely understand you wanting to own either car as both look stunning and should give loads of feel-good factor. As long as you're just looking for personal transport, who wouldn't want either.

In terms of costs, it's worth considering that almost always buying second hand will give less depreciation than buying new, even with the evoque which no doubt will suffer from higher first year depreciation after the initial waiting lists get shorter.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's