babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Never mind the quality, feel the width...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
OK, so with a handful of exceptions, at 6' 5.5" the Evoque is one of the widest cars on the road today.

So, of those who have already taken delivery, have you encountered any issues with this, say in city driving or parking? Had to change your routes to avoid 6' 6" restrictions, or got "parking rash" on the doors from tiny supermarket parking bays? Or is it not a problem?
I've been making the same point for a while, mainly to deaf ears. For many, this will be the widest car they have ever driven. One unlucky owner has already had his car dented by a careless neighbour which may be down to its width.

Width restrictions are going to be a real problem, multi-storey car parks too. There are no protective strips so keeping those doors pristine is going to be difficult.

For me, parking it in one of the spaces I have in London is going to be extremely tight, especially if I want to be able to get out, which is why I added the surround camera system as a late change to my spec. If it avoids a single trip to the paint shop, it will have paid for itself.
Wow, I hadn't noticed, even when driving!

A quick look shows its wider than my old 360, and the RRS. Its quite misleading when driving.....

RRS 75.9 in
360 75.7 in
RRE 77.4 in

Note to self: be careful!
It is probably going to cause some issues when out and about, its really not so obvious when on the road or parked in a dealer car park.

I will need to park mine (when ever it arrives) at the back of the house and at one point the drive narrows down and you have to turn at the same time. Its going to be very tight.

I also added surround cameras to my order for the same reasons as Mark.
The heavy flare on the wheel arches probably makes the overall width less obvious.
With the average car park space around 2.4 meters wide theres not much room once you are in and the 3 door may be that little bit more difficult to get in and out of in a tight space as I assume it will have longer doors.

My only real concern is I think is that some multi story car parks seemed do be designed for nothing bigger than a go cart to get around.

But don't worry, after extensive and exhaustive "sofa research" I have found a couple of solutions

http://www.autobarn.net/pilot-curb-feelers.html
Or
http://www.cmgdistributions.co.uk/
Very Happy

On a serious note, I'd be interested to hear the views,experiences and top tips from those with experience of owning a wider vehicle and using it on a daily basis.
Didn't realise this, thanks however moving from a Cayenne I'll manage, was looking forward to having a narrower car, but this doesn;t seem to be the case

EDIT

Dose this figure include the full length hall mirror's that hang off the doors
RRE is much narrower than FFRR, D4 and Freelander2 but it's even bigger advantage for those used to the brand is that it is low enough to get into most garages as well as narrow enough. I could get the width of an RRS into my garage but the roof antenna would have been ripped off even in access mode
(08-10-2011 09:56am)ajmooseman Wrote: [ -> ]Didn't realise this, thanks however moving from a Cayenne I'll manage, was looking forward to having a narrower car, but this doesn;t seem to be the case

EDIT

Dose this figure include the full length hall mirror's that hang off the doors

Mirrors Folded
1965 millimeter= 77.362 inches. (6' 5.5")

Mirrors Out
2125 millimeter= 83.661 inch. (Just short of 7')
Reference URL's