babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Man dies at JLR plant in Halewood
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sad news as a JLR employee dies after sustaining injuries at the Halewood plant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-mer...e-15072293
Very sad
Thoughts go out to his family
Very sad news.
Yes, very sad for the man's family, friends and colleagues.

After visiting there last week, there's no doubt they take H&S extremely seriously and I as a visitor had to wear a yellow jacket and protective glasses. There are guided walkways for people to follow to keep out of the way of fork lifts and of course all the robotic work is cordoned off with interlocks and warning signs.

Impossible to know what happened of course.
Which vehicles are build at Halewood apart from the Evoque?
Only Freelander2, Evoque took over the space freed up when the Jaguar X type ceased production
One news report refers to the man being freed after being trapped. That perhaps suggests something fell on him or else he became tangled in the mechanisation. Pointless to speculate of course but underlines the fact that behind the cars we are eagerly waiting for or already enjoying, there are real people with real families and real lives. Or in this case, real tragedy and real loss.
AN INQUIRY was underway today following the tragic death of dad-of-two Graham Begley at Merseyside’s Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) plant.

An ambulance arrived at the Halewood factory within six minutes of receiving a report a man was trapped, just after 8pm yesterday.

Specially-trained paramedics freed Mr Begley, who was taken by ambulance to Whiston Hospital suffering multiple injuries but was pronounced dead at 10.30pm.

It is believed hewas crushed between two heavy pieces of machinery being moved by a crane.

Mr Begley, 49, from Halewood, had worked at the plant for more than 20 years.

Sources said the car-making tools known as “dies” involved in the tragedy are used to press steel into shape and weigh about 30 tons.

Mr Begley, a dad to two grown-up children, worked at the plant as a die-setter and was described by sources as a “big affable guy”.

It is believed to be the first fatality caused by an accident at the plant in around 30 years.

Merseyside Police confirmed a joint investigation with the Health and Safety Executive was underway. Senior JLR executives also travelled to the plant from the Midlands.

Liverpool Echo
How very very sad.
Thanks for the update. I was told last week when visiting the press shop where I suppose the accident occurred that the dies can take 4 hours to change in the worst case. One aspect which I am sure will be investigated is whether pressure to keep up production rates has lead to corner cutting. I certainly hope not.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's