babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Fun car for £1k
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So...my A5 gets sold in a couple of weeks and I will then need some temporary transport until Evoque arrives...options...

1) hire a car
2) public transport
3) buy a cheap car and then sell it
4) buy a cheap car and then keep it

I think I'm going to go for option 4 and use this as an excuse tobstart my car collection...but can't afford much as I'm blowing £50k on an Evoque!

So...what fun car should I get for grand (happy for it to need lots of future work, but needs to be a good runner for a few weeks)?

Thoughts on a post-card please
In the same boat, my car shuld be sold next week, but have a 6 month wait.

I was thinking of a mk1 or mk2 golf gti, nice little classic, cheap to repair, and good fun.
Out of interest, what A5 did you have?
Mk1 mx5
Japanese reliability and a great handling little car Very Happy
Not sure about an MX5 but the golf is a decent shout.

Currently got an A5 2.7TD Sport...which I hate! To be fair to it, previous two cars were a 911 and a FFRR...so expectations probably a little high for the A5
I've got a 2.0L petrol A5 which I've never bonded with...it will go to get the Evoque.
Don't laugh of snigger but if you aren't going to drive more than local distances a used Suzuki Jimny or Vitara would be great and if your Evoque arrives before the severe winter sets in you could sell the Suzi at a profit.................. or use it as an off-road toy/ fun mobile.
(24-09-2011 10:28am)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]Don't laugh of snigger but if you aren't going to drive more than local distances a used Suzuki Jimny or Vitara would be great and if your Evoque arrives before the severe winter sets in you could sell the Suzi at a profit.................. or use it as an off-road toy/ fun mobile.

Thats exactly what im doing tim,selling my bmw just now and buying a suzuki/daihatsu/4x4 just now and if my delivery date holds (mid dec)I will sell it on at a definate profit.Last winter I must of phoned 20+ small 4x4's for sale in the autotrader mid december and they were all sold within hours of going online.
Now where did I put that head sized paper bag!!Laughing
(24-09-2011 08:12am)RacingSnake Wrote: [ -> ]Mk1 mx5
Japanese reliability and a great handling little car Very Happy

Mk1 mx5 is an ace idea I ran one as a fun second car for 18 months for less than a pound a day in depreciation and running costs. I however have just got a x red 1.8 one owner Ford mondeo for 650 quid to tide me over until evoque arrival. It has fsh and 200 quid worth of tax on it. It drives amazingly well.
Reference URL's