babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Anyone out there with a bad back - worried about the ride?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just a quick update for those of you who see the way a car rides as something of real importance.

I have a bad back, and have gone through four cars in two years primarily because of the need for greater comfort. Firstly, I would say that I love the look of the Dynamic but as it only looks at its best on the 20 inch wheels I knew that I would have to compromise and head down the Prestige route, with the 19inch standard wheels. How pleased am I that I did. And this is the standard none AD setup.

I can't compare how it would fair against a Dynamic, or indeed a Prestige with AD but what I can tell you is that it rides absolutely beautifully. It's controlled through the corners yet soaks up bumps and potholes really well. After an M3 and a Scirocco R, I thought that my Jaguar XF Portfolio DS rode well on its standard 20's but the Evoque seems much more comfortable.
That's great to hear!
I only spent an hour driving one (a dynamic 3dr on 20's) and my back was fine afterwards...normally it seizes up a little but after an hour in a car...so no complaints from me or my chiropractor!
If I compare an Evoque SD4 Dynamic with 20" and without AD to my X5 (E70) 3.0d with sport package and suspension on 19". The Evoque is way better in terms of comfort. The BMW is rock hard compared. So a job well done on the suspension even without AD. Did drive an Evoque today with the config above. Great ride. Remember Im a BMW guy so do have high demands. In terms of sportiness the Evoque is more than ok. I would not want any more sport in an SUV myself. So in terms of a good ride this is one of the best SUV/SAV at the moment. The only ride i fancy a little more is the X6 that is crazy with adaptive drive and 4.0d engine. But still harder than the Evoque in terms of ride.
(21-09-2011 04:04pm)hybris Wrote: [ -> ]If I compare an Evoque SD4 Dynamic with 20" and without AD to my X5 (E70) 3.0d with sport package and suspension on 19". The Evoque is way better in terms of comfort. The BMW is rock hard compared. So a job well done on the suspension even without AD. Did drive an Evoque today with the config above. Great ride. Remember Im a BMW guy so do have high demands. In terms of sportiness the Evoque is more than ok. I would not want any more sport in an SUV myself. So in terms of a good ride this is one of the best SUV/SAV at the moment. The only ride i fancy a little more is the X6 that is crazy with adaptive drive and 4.0d engine. But still harder than the Evoque in terms of ride.

Hi I understand where you are coming from but an X6. I realise that dynamically it'll be spot on but it's no looker IMO and by the time you've added adaptive drive and similar kit levels it'll be 10-15K more expensive.
X6 have a very dynamic ride without any addition. Adaptive drive just make it better. Its way better than the X5 standard. Its quick as a sports car with the right engine. I think it has a killer looks with the right config. Check this BMW X6 in white with performance kit. I truly love the X6. The 4.0d will probably have close to Evoque SD consumption. BMW is extremely good when it comes to low consumption in their new cars. But again I have ordered an Evoque and I love the ride. So cool that Landrover has been able to steal a true BMW geek. (still have an BMW 1-series convertible...) Wink

http://www.bmwblog.com/wp-content/upload...92X6_1.jpg
ytshome: but agree that an X6 is not something to compare head to head with Evoque. In terms a coupe and looks yes. But in terms of size no. X6 is more expensive. Evoque is more of BMW X1 size. X6 is basically an X5 with coupe looks, way better handling and smaller luggage than X5. But I still think that it appeals to the same type of buyer that wants to stick out.

I was very positively surprised regarding the good ride in the Evoque. Yes its a small car compared to my X5. Especially sitting in the back where the X5 is like a limo compared. But I personally don't need the size. Its like the other Ranger Rovers. They are like dinosaurs. Huge consumptions and large cars. Not the future of Land Rover. Sure Land Rover will follow pup Evoque with a refresh of the whole range of cars. Lower consumption and Evoque looks. Would not be surprised to see something at X3/Q5 size etc.

Evoque for me is like taking the Mini and the trowing in Ranger Rover DNA. Wink
With the AD the ride is even better than either of my FFRR's or RRS's. It really is a fantastic set up. So far I have not felt any need to run in Dynamic mode either.
Thanks for your perspective ytshome! Nice to read a rare pro-standard suspension view as there is a lot of hoopla on the forum about the Magnaride/AD yet there are clearly some of us who have sampled it and are perfectly content to not order it (driving style, local roads and budget).

A new Evoque purchaser has to balance the opinions "it's a must" vs
the words of the Halewood engineer who said the Magnaride comfort was equivalent to the standard suspension and a local driver who has already driven both versions for an extended period (since start August).
It's interesting to see that you come from sporty sedans and I from a mk6 GTI then Audi TTS. That drivers like you and I (with our penchant for spirited performance) are happily taking the non AD route is a testament to the fact that the Evoque handling will satisfy in all it's guises ! Smile
Although I may miss my launch control lol!
(21-09-2011 07:19pm)Evoqess Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for your perspective ytshome! Nice to read a rare pro-standard suspension view as there is a lot of hoopla on the forum about the Magnaride/AD yet there are clearly some of us who have sampled it and are perfectly content to not order it (driving style, local roads and budget).

A new Evoque purchaser has to balance the opinions "it's a must" vs
the words of the Halewood engineer who said the Magnaride comfort was equivalent to the standard suspension and a local driver who has already driven both versions for an extended period (since start August).
It's interesting to see that you come from sporty sedans and I from a mk6 GTI then Audi TTS. That drivers like you and I (with our penchant for spirited performance) are happily taking the non AD route is a testament to the fact that the Evoque handling will satisfy in all it's guises ! Smile
Although I may miss my launch control lol!

Thanks Evoqueness, We've had several Golf GTI's and our eldest son picked up his new GTI DSG last week. It's nice to see that LandRover and for that matter VW can still make good handling, sporty cars with great ride comfort. To me it's something that has kept me away from Audi and BMW of late. Cheers YT
Hey Thanks... That's great news. I have a few screws and rods in my spine... so looking for the 'comfort' option. I have the same model/spec as you say. Helps set the mind at rest.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's