babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Winter tyres
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Evoque testing in Sweden... Wink
(19-09-2011 02:24pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]For those thinking of buying Ice and Snow tyres here is what I was quoted this morning:-
4 x Pirelli Ice and Snow tyres in 235/55R19 with H speed rating and 105 Weight rating (the Contis on mine are V rated and 103 weight rating) - list price £1112 fitted to my spare rims, then discounted to £865 fitted, I supply the TPMS valve stems. The Continentals were listed in their system at £1 a tyre less. The local dealers can supply them tomorrow from their warehouse too so no supply isn't a problem yet.

Hi Tim

Looking at getting a second set of rims for winter tyres. Can you explain what is involved in swapping rims if you have wheels with the TPMS system?
£220 for the sensors if you want to run with them on the 2nd set otherwise you will just have a warning light on the dash all the time that tells you the system cannot find a sensor when ordinary valves are fitted. I have bought a send set of sensors but the parts department were not sure if I will have to get the new sensors coded to the system - my understanding of the owner's manual is that I shouldn't, it takes 45 minutes in three sections to get the system to recognise the new sensors according to the book, no recoding..........
I'm still not sure if I can fit the sensors to the 19" wheels I've purchased either.
(23-09-2011 10:41pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]£220 for the sensors if you want to run with them on the 2nd set otherwise you will just have a warning light on the dash all the time that tells you the system cannot find a sensor when ordinary valves are fitted. I have bought a send set of sensors but the parts department were not sure if I will have to get the new sensors coded to the system - my understanding of the owner's manual is that I shouldn't, it takes 45 minutes in three sections to get the system to recognise the new sensors according to the book, no recoding..........
I'm still not sure if I can fit the sensors to the 19" wheels I've purchased either.

Crikey. Nothing is simple! Look forward to hearing how you get on in due course. Considering that the winter wheels will probably on 19" the need for the sensors is limited. Would be good just to know if a dealer can turn the system on or off instead of having a dashboard disco...
I think I'll just stick a piece of duct tape over the TPMS sensor light Surprised
Would anyone dare use a set of Pirelli Sottozero Winter 210 serie 2 tires of size 225/45/R17 (near new And off an Audi A3)?
I could try and find some compatible aftermarket wheels or even those steelies in black (interestingly, some markets have 17 inch wheels for their base Evoques -hello Australia.)
Not really concerned about the look. Our winters are miserable and just want rubber on the road that is good for low temps. But do these tires have too low a profile at 45? Hmm, thanks guys - as a woman I'm only just beginning to figure out what the numbers mean.
One of the big brand tyre makers offer a 20" winter tyre in UK with a 45 profile so anything is possible! Not the most helpful suggestion, but have you asked your LR dealer and your insurance company if they are suitable before you sell them on?
Comments appreciated Tim - I will check with LR to see if they have 17" wheels appropriate. I have a notion that they will probably try to sell me wheels/tyres themselves.
(16-09-2011 07:22pm)XFullFatTim Wrote: [ -> ]In Germany, Austria and Switzerland IIRC it is now compulsory to run winter tyres on all cars between certain dates, and in Germany I think it is, if you don't fit them your insurance is invalid
You can also add a number of Canadian provinces which require winter tires from mid december to March. It makes such a big difference.
I go for Nokkian as they are from Finland. Tires from a harsh winter country is a good thing... Produced to work when it counts. Avoid winter tires produced for central European conditions... Wink
I was looking for the prices of the Evoque rims "standalone". Have you guys seen any prices? Not pinged my dealer yet but will. Just to check what the original do cost.
Hi hybris do nokkian make a winter tyre to fit the 20" dynamic wheels as I'm not going to buy another set of wheels. Only ones I can find are the pirelli scorpion ice & snow.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Reference URL's