babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: Auto rotary dial
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just want to gauge peoples opinions regarding the automatic rotary dial,versus the conventional forward/back lever.

Also, regarding the fact that it rises up electronically when you turn the engine on....if this just so happens to malfunction,and fails to rise, is their a manual way you can raise the auto dial? Because if their is not, then i'm guessing you would be left stranded.
(13-09-2011 02:18pm)benzina Wrote: [ -> ]Just want to gauge peoples opinions regarding the automatic rotary dial,versus the conventional forward/back lever.

Also, regarding the fact that it rises up electronically when you turn the engine on....if this just so happens to malfunction,and fails to rise, is their a manual way you can raise the auto dial? Because if their is not, then i'm guessing you would be left stranded.

Hi, there is a manual over-ride, but don't ask me what you do exactly but I do remember reading about it on my XF. In my experience it works fantastically well and looks good too.
I have experienced it on my XF- it works well, except the one time when it rose up, and would not turn to drive.
I then switched the car off and it would not restart.I was was left stranded and causing chaos ending up on the back of a transporter back to Jag!
I thought I'd read somewhere that even if it doesn't rise up, you can still turn it to select drive.
(13-09-2011 02:55pm)scottie99 Wrote: [ -> ]I have experienced it on my XF- it works well, except the one time when it rose up, and would not turn to drive.
I then switched the car off and it would not restart.I was was left stranded and causing chaos ending up on the back of a transporter back to Jag!

Me too!, in my parents 1 week old XF when I was picking them up at Gatwick Airport ! I was stuck in the middle of the carpark causing major angst and it took some mega pushing on rollers to get me out to the transporter. At the time (mid 2010) it was a known fault with the unit and was replaced - no faults since.
I was sceptical about rotary when I have been used to for and aft movement of the selector - no problems and even if you forget to turn the selector back to P before getting out, the car does it for you! The only time I have found it less good than the conventional shifter was at the weekend when I was trying to complete a 45 point turn on a narrow track, when you are having to twist it so much it isn't as user friendly as a conventional selector.
much prefer the lever....don't like the rotary on the jag, RR or RRS
I love it!
Just thinking....Is it possible to arrange it so that the selector stays in the UP position all the time? For example: like pulling a fuse that is responsible for solely this purpose.
It's not that i'm totally against this feature, but i think it would be good to be able to switch off the theatrics from time to time.
I've got automatic seatbelt extenders in my Benz coupe,which i only used sparingly,so the theater of that one is fine,but if it was a daily driver?
Anyway,i'm sure it will be fine,but please let me know if their is a way to make the selector stay in the UP position all the time. Thanks.
Its very cool. But practically I like the shifter in the X5 much more. Not as sexy as the Evoque/Jag though.

First time/testdrive it took me 20 seconds to get it into drive. (Evoque)
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's