babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum

Full Version: I've just driven one! Question for you...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just returned from a dealer's Evoque Drive Event here in Cape Cod, Massachusetts. (Been waiting FOREVER for this!)

First -- the Dynamic coupe is stunning. Exterior, stunning. (OG, by the way.) Interior, stunning. To my mind the coupe is essentially a sports-crossover. Should I purchase one, the coupe would be my choice.

Unfortunately, the dealership only had the one coupe, and it was a showroom model. All that were available to test drive were 5-door models. The 5-door model I drove was a Pure running on 19s.

For those who have also driven an Evoque, I've got a concern and wonder if any of you have also experienced this:

From the moment I stepped on the accelerator, the interior cabin seemed to almost fill with engine noise. Throughout my drive, with the exception of at highway speeds, that engine noise permeated the cabin; and to my ears it was rather unpleasant. (Hmm, I just realized I'm referring to it here as "noise".) The ride was firm, not harsh, but firm; not a problem. But again, whenever I drove over road bumps or potholes, the noise (bang!) within the cabin from beneath the 19s was almost jolting and certainly distracting.

Is it just me? Is it just that I'm accustomed to driving my BMW X5, a different driving experience entirely? I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!
Well that's the first time I've heard that in all the reviews I've read - but I'm interested to hear from other folk as well as I haven't driven an Evoque just yet! It should be remembered that from what I've heard the Evoques doing the rounds in Nth America are pre-production models too.
But I'm sure it's quieter than the car I'm coming from - an Audi TTS coupe on 19" with sports tires! I suspect that your BMW is more tank-like and might be a better sound insulator.
For me give me Evoque style and a bit of extra noise any day!!
You only get the Petrol is the US don't you ? Wonder if there is a major difference in engine noise between petrol and diesel
Thanks for responding. Yes, I do believe we only get the petrol engine in the US, and that's what I was driving. And I agree, in all the reviews I've read -- probably some of the best reviews I've ever read for a vehicle, rave reviews, glowing reviews -- I haven't heard anything about engine noise or suspension (would it be suspension?) noise. In fact, I've read quite the opposite about how quiet the engine is, how supple the ride is. That's what's got me sort of taken aback and why I'm inquiring here to see if perhaps I encountered some sort of anomaly or perhaps a pre-production model.

I've hunted the Internet and the only mention in a review that I can find similar to what I experienced engine-wise is The Car Connection: "...It's coarse on the go, with plenty of drivetrain noise and noticeable turbo lag, but the smallville drivetrain gives up nothing to the heavier, less strong LR2..." But that's only 1-review out of dozens that report the opposite.

I haven't given up; I'm going to test drive again at the end of October when the inventory starts arriving here. In the meantime, more real-world thoughts/experiences are greatly appreciated.
I haven't driven an Si4, but this was something that some of the motoring press picked up when they road tested the same engine at the huge press event recently. Like all Land Rover exported to the USA, you guys never get what are the best engines, the turbo diesels are not just more economical to run, they have more sound deadening material in them
I've read a review in the Dutch magazine Autovisie. One of their concerns was the lack of damping material around the wheel arches to block the noise of the rolling wheels.
I have driven the Evoque today in Montreal and I was impressed with the overall handling and quality of the vehicle. I have noticed the road noise at high speed and I would be tempted to blame the continental tires. I had a similar experience in my lexus Rx300 a while back and the problem was fixed with a set of Michelin tires. As for the engine it is very peppy but it does make itself heard when pushed hard. But then again, it felt more powerful than my Rx300 V6. I had the impression that the roar was coming from the back of the car and not the engine compartment. Is it a feature of the Evoque sporty design? Nothing to complain about on the tranny side, on the contrary, very smooth, responsive and well matched with the turbo engine.

The size of the Evoque was a concern to me but after seeing the real thing, it does look to be about the same size as my RX300. The overall proportions are absolutely perfect. Cargo space is similar maybe a little smaller and the cabin front seats and backseat head room and leg room are of good proportions and very comfortable. The on-board hi-tech gyzmos are all very impressive (especially coming from a 13 year old RX300) especially the camera systems but probably available on other platforms, so not a real discriminator. Panoramic roof is a must. Too bad it does not open. Oh and by the way, the side mirrors are just perfect! Stop whining about the size. In fact, I question the need for the blind-spot monitoring system on the car.
All in all, I was very impressed with the car and I am considering ordering the Red prestige loaded with panoramic roof, and rear entertainment system for my 10-year old. They need to increase production of this little jewel.
Bonjour Denis!
I loved your pronouncement of this car as "a little jewel"!
I had my deposit placed here in Vancouver before even driving the Evoque - after reading one positive review after another.
I think sales of other compact SUVs will suffer in Canada!!
I am in Chicago, IL. and just recently drove 2 Evoques. Pure 5-door on 18"s with standard suspension and a Dynamic 3-door on 20"s with Magnaride suspension.

1. As far as the noise is concerned, yes the Evoque does have a tiny bit more interior noise although it is hard when you are comparing it to a BMW. The BMW X5, X3 and even Audi's for that matter have been some of the quietest interior cabins I have been in. Still not enough to sway me from buying an Evoque. I can overlook some engine noise as long as it has more than enough power, smooth acceleration and good gas mileage .

2. I thought the ride was just right. Yes alittle firm, but solid and flat in the corners. I don't like a super soft and floaty ride, then you get to much lean in the turns. I didn't notice any "banging" noise and I even went over some road bumps and uneven R.R. tracks on my test drive.

I will definately be driving another one in early October to be sure I didn't miss anything. The initial "awe" of the vehicle can make you overlook some important details. Plus, I am still not sure on color because some of the pics that XFullFatTim posted (Thanks!) makes me second guess Orkney Grey (I WANT STORNOWAY BACK!!!!) Did you take any pics of the OG?
ApeelinZ, any comments on difference between normal and Magneride suspension?
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's