Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intermittent Start Problem - Help !
Big G

Intermittent Start Problem - Help !

Last couplle of mornings having parked the car overnight , I get in the car, depress the clutch, press start and nothing,
engine doesn't fire. Warning message saying problem with start - consult the manual, - can't see anything in the manual.

So I lock the car from inside using button on key, press unlock button etc , hit start button, and it may take a couple of attempts , but it eventually fires up. I haven't tried the spare key as yet - and will. Rang the dealer and they will take it in to 'run some tests'.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem.?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
(This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 10:59am by Big G.)
27-02-2012 10:58am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
griff

RE: Intermittent Start Problem - Help !

Are you sure it is not a delay whilst the glow plugs warm up?
I have found in cold weather that if you press and release the start button the engine starts a few seconds later as the plugs reach their temperature. Just a thought.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
27-02-2012 01:27pm
Big G

(27-02-2012 01:27pm)griff Wrote:  Are you sure it is not a delay whilst the glow plugs warm up?
I have found in cold weather that if you press and release the start button the engine starts a few seconds later as the plugs reach their temperature. Just a thought.

Griff - weather here is mild , in fact its been colder a while back and it started fine then, so don't think its that, but will get it checked. Thanks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collected !! 18/02/2012
Prestige Coupe SD4 Sumatra Black, Spirit interior, Pano roof , Heated seats, Privacy, Rear vents, Rear camera,Manual & style 5 19s. Not Prestige mats, 54 miles in tank when collected.
27-02-2012 01:45pm
griff

O.K Just a thought - good luck.

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
27-02-2012 01:49pm
BFGEvoqueMan

Sounds a bit like the problems the FL2 had for the first 12 months. The alarm backup sounder drained the battery sufficiently to not allow enough juice in the system to allow the computer to do its thing to allow the engine to start. Hoped this part of the FL2 hadn't been transferred accross to the RRESad

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
28-02-2012 10:45am
Land Rover Techy

(27-02-2012 10:58am)Big G Wrote:  Last couplle of mornings having parked the car overnight , I get in the car, depress the clutch, press start and nothing,
engine doesn't fire. Warning message saying problem with start - consult the manual, - can't see anything in the manual.

So I lock the car from inside using button on key, press unlock button etc , hit start button, and it may take a couple of attempts , but it eventually fires up. I haven't tried the spare key as yet - and will. Rang the dealer and they will take it in to 'run some tests'.

Just wondering if anyone else has had the problem.?

Ok, trying to help you out here, how did you open the door via the remote or do you have keyless entry, If the car cannot see the key then it will not allow ignition to come on and will show a message in relation to smart key not detected. I would try the spare key and see if the same happens.
18-03-2012 06:49pm
Big G

(18-03-2012 06:49pm)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Ok, trying to help you out here, how did you open the door via the remote or do you have keyless entry, If the car cannot see the key then it will not allow ignition to come on and will show a message in relation to smart key not detected. I would try the spare key and see if the same happens.

Thanks Techy appreciate your help. Actually I sat in the car and pressed the lock/unlock button on the remote. I don't have keyless locking.

Collected !! 18/02/2012
22-03-2012 01:00pm
Land Rover Techy

(22-03-2012 01:00pm)Big G Wrote:  Thanks Techy appreciate your help. Actually I sat in the car and pressed the lock/unlock button on the remote. I don't have keyless locking.

Hi, there was an issue with the early evoques and a fault with the steering column lock sticking, this meant that because the car knew that the steering column lock was in that it would not allow an engine start. The steering column lock us designed and made to unlock when pressing the unlock button on the remote or for those that do have keyless entry when you pull on the door handle. This is so that you cannot hear the conventional clunck type sound when you are sitting in the car. it may be worth asking a dealer if the recall is active on your car. Otherwise there could be a potential fault with the car which is why it will not start .

Please Note This is just a judement based on experience / findings since the launch of Range Rover Evoque and is not a fully supported diagnosis on your vehicle.
23-03-2012 12:43am
Big G

(23-03-2012 12:43am)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Hi, there was an issue with the early evoques and a fault with the steering column lock sticking, this meant that because the car knew that the steering column lock was in that it would not allow an engine start. The steering column lock us designed and made to unlock when pressing the unlock button on the remote or for those that do have keyless entry when you pull on the door handle. This is so that you cannot hear the conventional clunck type sound when you are sitting in the car. it may be worth asking a dealer if the recall is active on your car. Otherwise there could be a potential fault with the car which is why it will not start .

Please Note This is just a judement based on experience / findings since the launch of Range Rover Evoque and is not a fully supported diagnosis on your vehicle.

Many thanks - will follow up as advised. Although been fine for the last few weeksBanging HeadBanging Head

Collected !! 18/02/2012
26-03-2012 04:41pm