Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
camera and screen and dealer excuses oh my!
wildrover

Just picked up my new 2013 Evoque 2 days ago. Its a 4 door (ok, 5 door) base model with the only option being the cold climate package (heated seats, windshield, etc.)

Immediately while dealer was demonstrating the car to me, an error came on screen and the backup camera stopped working. They took it into a service bay for 20 minutes or so. Came back and said all fixed, just need a "firmware update" and that it was a known issue. By the way, I have not left the lot yet.

Start driving home. Stop at a store for about 20 minutes or so. Come back out and start my new Evoque. Error. Backup camera not working. I call the dealer.

They tell me "oh yeah, if you leave the car off for 7 minutes and then start it, it will work, just has to clear the cache".

I'm thinking, this can't be right.

Sure enough, every time I get in this brand new car, well maybe 80% of the time, I get an immediate error and the backup camera does not operate. 20% of the time, this is not happening.

Next, while driving a few times already, the entire touchscreen went black and was inoperative. The radio was still playing but no way to get anything on screen. Turning the car off and then on again seemed to clear that temporarily.

I contacted the dealer again (they are not close to where I live). They say "Yes, sorry wish we could give you some better help but that's all we can say. There was an advisory about it. There is no fix."

Am I losing my mind? I like this car but is it just my own car that is defective or is this a problem where they should all be recalled?

The backup camera is crucial for a car with a limited rear view, plus the car is brand new. This seems pretty important.

And the entire computer screen going black/blank and being inoperative while driving is unnerving as well.

Anyone with the same issues on a 2013 Evoque? Please help. Do I get rid of my 2 day old car? Sue them? What to do?
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 05:29pm by wildrover.)
17-01-2013 04:57pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Jai

They should start diagnosing and start replacing parts for you! I'd think the main stereo/headunit/touchscreen should be first to get swapped out or atleast full software reload. They can do more than what they've done thus far
17-01-2013 05:53pm
PhilSkill

RE: camera and screen and dealer excuses oh my!

Both of those faults seem to have been pretty common and have been mentioned on here by a few members, Search on here you will find people with both, they are not neccessarily related faults, I doubt it's enough for something as severe as a recall, although the rear camera seems to be getting more common.

The car is not right, the dealer should fix it under warranty, if they are no help get onto your LR customer services.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-01-2013 05:53pm
cutter7

I was told today that my car was work in progress and when I phoned this evening on an update its changed to part pending! May be in some time next week..

Nice hire car at the moment 3.0 SDV6 HSE luxury

17-01-2013 07:01pm
PhilSkill

Sounds like the cameras might be in short supply! Saves putting miles on yours in the snow at least Cutter! Hope they fix it soon!

I'm a little concerned my camera is quitely corroding away and will suddenly rear it's water filled head suddenly, If I get to Service 2 I'll be asking them to look at it, I'd rather it was repaired while in warranty than be a problem waiting to bite.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
17-01-2013 07:13pm
cutter7

The problem is when the water reaches the wiring connector (about 50mm from the lens) and then this makes the middle circuit of connectors go into meltdown!!

17-01-2013 07:21pm
wildrover

if there is water in the connector (in a brand new 2013 with zero miles) wouldn't the dealer know that and tell me? and why would the camera work randomly 20-30% of the time I turn on the car? On that way to lunch just now, camera working. On the way back, camera not working AND touch screen black and blank and unresponsive.

What is going on? how can they expect me to keep this thing? this seems like a serious problem. Is it just mine? Why aren't they making any effort to repair this at all? I literally just got this new car.
17-01-2013 07:50pm
cutter7

LR are very aware of this problem.

My advice to you is to call LRA, and they will check this problem for you, and also arrange your car to be seen with your chosen dealer and will arrange a hire car for you as well..

LRA are very good.. The dead screen will come back with a hard re-set quite straight forward, but will die again if the moisture or water has not been cleared from the rear camera connector.

(This post was last modified: 17-01-2013 09:19pm by cutter7.)
17-01-2013 08:31pm
splash

Hi have the same problem with my car i think that they washed your car before they delivered it to you.

you could see more here... http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Lots-of-errors

So be quick and tell your LR dealer about the topix bulletin so they order new cables and new camera to you.
17-01-2013 09:41pm
WB
WB

Do the guys with this camera problem have their build dates by any chance? I'm assuming this is a batch of bad cameras as many of us had cars a year old+ and not experienced this issue.
17-01-2013 10:33pm