Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Xenons - what's the difference
leeselee

Xenons - what's the difference

Does anyone have pictures of an Evoque with and without Xenons?

I have never had them and do not know what all the fuss is about!

Is it really a 'must have'?
01-06-2012 10:35am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Pommyboi

RE: Xenons - what's the difference

If you do a search on the forum you will find similar questions asked in the past.

If you don't think it is worth the extra cost (assuming you are going for a Pure) you could look at a quick and simple upgrade to the bulbs as people have reported the standard lights at night aren't that bright. This is the route I'm planning on taking, again discussed in the forum before under the modifications section.

Having had xenons on previous cars they are very bright and pick out road signs very clearly. I like them but not enough to pay for them if they are not standard on the car besides which I don't think I do much driving at night.

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
01-06-2012 10:46am
Straydox

(01-06-2012 10:35am)leeselee Wrote:  Does anyone have pictures of an Evoque with and without Xenons?

I have never had them and do not know what all the fuss is about!

Is it really a 'must have'?

Xenons - yes absolute must-have, and it's the only way you can have the 'signature' LED running lights that makes the Evoque so distinctive on the road. There many threads on this forum from people who didn't realise that signature running lights only come on the Xenon headlamps.

I equate having Xenons to what it was like before most cars had air-con - once you have experienced it you can't go back.

A single normal halogen bulb produces around 1500 ANSI Lumens worth of light - a Xenon lamp produces has an output of 3000 ANSI Lumens so twice as bright and the light is in the blue/white colour spectrum so much closer to daylight. There is no concept of a high and low beam on a Xenon lamp - it is a single light source that is on all the time and a servo controlled flap shuts off part of the headlamps reflector to provide a 'low' beam. The more complex headlamp design, mandatory headlamp washers, self levelling and automated fail-safe electronics in the event of an accident (lethal voltages) are the reason they are fairly expensive.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
01-06-2012 11:23am
leeselee

(01-06-2012 11:23am)Straydox Wrote:  Xenons - yes absolute must-have, and it's the only way you can have the 'signature' LED running lights that makes the Evoque so distinctive on the road. There many threads on this forum from people who didn't realise that signature running lights only come on the Xenon headlamps.

I equate having Xenons to what it was like before most cars had air-con - once you have experienced it you can't go back.

A single normal halogen bulb produces around 1500 ANSI Lumens worth of light - a Xenon lamp produces has an output of 3000 ANSI Lumens so twice as bright and the light is in the blue/white colour spectrum so much closer to daylight. There is no concept of a high and low beam on a Xenon lamp - it is a single light source that is on all the time and a servo controlled flap shuts off part of the headlamps reflector to provide a 'low' beam. The more complex headlamp design, mandatory headlamp washers, self levelling and automated fail-safe electronics in the event of an accident (lethal voltages) are the reason they are fairly expensive.

Thank you for the reply.

Although a geek at heart - it is like you are speaking in a foreign language! Shocked

I don't really understand car speak (I am good at computers and numbers, I'm afraid :oopsSmile

I understand the bottom part - but what is: signature LED running lights?

I work best with pictures........!

Thanks
01-06-2012 11:28am
caroline11000

I agree with Straydox it's a must have on the Pure!

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
01-06-2012 11:29am
leeselee

RE: Xenons - what's the difference - Pictures

Each time I do a google search for Evoque xenons or signature LED - I get lots of different pictures up.

I am not sure which are what.

Can anyone post a link to let me know what I am missing here?

My husband has adaptive xenons on his E class - obviously he loves xenons.

I have been blissfully unaware of xenons all these years.
01-06-2012 11:52am
Pommyboi

This is what the xenons look like on the front of the car:

http://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/201...per_01.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/201...per_02.htm

There are two ways of looking at them, style because you like the signature lights at the front or because you want improve vision at night.

They are not a "must have" if they are not in your budget, if they are in your budget, you drive a lot at night and/or particularly love the signature lights on the car then get them you won't regret it!

On order: Feb 2012 - Pure, 5 door, SD4 auto, Style 4 wheels, Front parking, fog lights, rear camera, spare wheel. Red Contrast roof, Ebony- final spec TBC
01-06-2012 01:03pm
leeselee

(01-06-2012 01:03pm)Pommyboi Wrote:  This is what the xenons look like on the front of the car:

http://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/201...per_01.htm
http://www.netcarshow.com/land_rover/201...per_02.htm

There are two ways of looking at them, style because you like the signature lights at the front or because you want improve vision at night.

They are not a "must have" if they are not in your budget, if they are in your budget, you drive a lot at night and/or particularly love the signature lights on the car then get them you won't regret it!

Thank you so much for the photos.

I get it now.

I do like the LED signature things (Amy Winehouse eyes....:lolSmile

I just don't know if I want to spend another £710 on something that I have never personally had before. I work and drive 'normal' hours, so in the winter I drive at night all the time!

I am sure LR would not supply a car with headlights that you are unable to see in the dark Shocked if anyone has been in a Nissan Juke - you will know that some car manufacturers build cars that do not see in the dark! One of my scariest journeys as a passenger for years.

Having never had them, I think it may be a step too far on the budget. I am one of those weird people that hate pano roofs. (have a Mercedes sunroof / pano roof thing and do not use it in sunshine - very light sensitive) But the xenons are the only extra that I have not 'clicked' on that I am still left wondering.

The problem is the waitlist is so long, one has too much time to ponder!

My other problem is the salesman at the dealership is no help whatsoever as each time I ask for advise, he says "I'm on the fence on this one" Useless......

Without you guys on the forum, I wouldn't have a clue. Thanks
01-06-2012 01:21pm
ogpurestyle

(01-06-2012 01:21pm)leeselee Wrote:  Thank you so much for the photos.

I get it now.

I do like the LED signature things (Amy Winehouse eyes....:lolSmile

I just don't know if I want to spend another £710 on something that I have never personally had before. I work and drive 'normal' hours, so in the winter I drive at night all the time!

I am sure LR would not supply a car with headlights that you are unable to see in the dark Shocked if anyone has been in a Nissan Juke - you will know that some car manufacturers build cars that do not see in the dark! One of my scariest journeys as a passenger for years.

Having never had them, I think it may be a step too far on the budget. I am one of those weird people that hate pano roofs. (have a Mercedes sunroof / pano roof thing and do not use it in sunshine - very light sensitive) But the xenons are the only extra that I have not 'clicked' on that I am still left wondering.

The problem is the waitlist is so long, one has too much time to ponder!

My other problem is the salesman at the dealership is no help whatsoever as each time I ask for advise, he says "I'm on the fence on this one" Useless......

Without you guys on the forum, I wouldn't have a clue. Thanks

In the end to fit "roughly" my budget I had to choose between Keyless Entry and Xenons. Xenons won as in my opinion Keyless Entry anwered a question I had never asked (having never had it before) and I had security concerns re use. However I strongly believed I would regret not getting Xenons everytime I had to drive in the dark and it would spoil the experience of the car so therefore Xenons was my choice.

In the end it is a personal decision for you and yes the time available to keep choosing does add to the problem, not a bad problem to have and is all forgotten once the car is delivered Smile
01-06-2012 02:44pm
leeselee

(01-06-2012 02:44pm)ogpurestyle Wrote:  In the end to fit "roughly" my budget I had to choose between Keyless Entry and Xenons. Xenons won as in my opinion Keyless Entry anwered a question I had never asked (having never had it before) and I had security concerns re use. However I strongly believed I would regret not getting Xenons everytime I had to drive in the dark and it would spoil the experience of the car so therefore Xenons was my choice.

In the end it is a personal decision for you and yes the time available to keep choosing does add to the problem, not a bad problem to have and is all forgotten once the car is delivered Smile

I suppose it depends on what is important to the individual. I am a little wary of the keyless entry and see that as a potential danger in my family.

I HAVE to have the powered tailgate and mirrors - mirrors have to fold in London or they get swiped off in traffic or car parks and I struggle now closing my boot, so it is a necessity.

Also HAVE to have parking sensors and cameras - Mercedes have spoilt me. (can't park now without beeps)

Have to have tech pack.

I drive auto, so the basic car is a lot more than manual.

The only extras I have added that are more luxuries and not necessities are the fog lights (they look pretty) and the car mats.

Everything else is a necessity.

I suppose I will not see the benefit of the pretty led signature lights and as I said, I am sure LR supply good enough headlights - making the xenons more of a luxury to me.

I wanted to stay within the £35k region and I am just tipping over now, which I am comfortable with. I have never bought a car without discount (Mercedes virtually give their cars away with crazy finance), so I am paying for everything.

No lovely dark country lanes to test the lighting where I live - just the bright lights of the city!

One more question - Please don't shout. Embarrassed I am not buying the ashtray & cigar lighter option - does the car still come with the 'hole' that I can plug my phone charger in?

My current car has a few charger ports but I use the lighter plug for my phone/tablet charging.

Thanks again!
01-06-2012 03:08pm