Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
Xenon Headlights
s920811

RE: Xenon Headlights

(25-03-2014 12:15pm)dkearns Wrote:  I have spent about 6months working on this modification and gone through, I think, all possibilities of the way you can have your signature DLRs and Xenons working.
Firstly I removed OE Ballast and using a number of fittings used a D2S bulb with a Canbus Ballast - it worked
I then wanted to use the OE Bulbs (D3S) so I invested in a Canbus Ballast with a D3S fitting - it worked
Both are great solutions however I hate the way non-OE ballast take so long to get the glow up to full power. So my final mission was to use the OE Ballast and the OE bulbs - I purchased what is the cheapest solution of all - a Relay Harness. This solution allows you to use EVERYTHING OE in your headlamp with minimum cost - you can either use a single HID relay or dual (one for each headlamp).
In simple - the power, from the battery (via a fuse and relay switch) powers the OE Ballast and the circuit that would in theory be used to power ballast now powers the coil of the relay.
The issue with cars without Xenons is that, from my experiments, over 10amps of power is drawn for about 7-10seconds on power up (this is why OE ballasts brighten the bulb so fast - canbus start low and remain low - longer glow up time) so you will find that if wired directly (on a halogen setup car) your Xenon will power on for about 2sec and then go out. My guess is that the electronics recognize this as a short circuit and considers it detrimental and so cuts the power. The relay coil draws significantly less power and allows it to be powered and held (circuit "thinks" its a normal bulb). Anybody considering doing the change from Halogen to Xenon should consider the Relay harness route - I estimate the project cost me 25pounds, with added wiring, shrink etc etc.

Hi,
Your method sounds great!! Is much easier to do and can use all OE!
Is it possible for you to show me which Relay Harness you used? Like a photo or where to buy them.
Thank you!!
25-03-2014 02:47pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dkearns

Quote:Hi,
Your method sounds great!! Is much easier to do and can use all OE!
Is it possible for you to show me which Relay Harness you used? Like a photo or where to buy them.
Thank you!!

There are loads of types on Ebay - you will need to do a bit of modding on the connections but nothing too tricky.
I picked up this cheap and cheerful option - but there are plenty out there..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321125791575?s...1439.l2649
(This post was last modified: 25-03-2014 03:01pm by dkearns.)
25-03-2014 03:00pm
cjfp

As there seems to be a few wiring gurus on here, can any of you work out a way to get the rear lights to come on with the front DRLS?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
25-03-2014 03:52pm
dkearns

(25-03-2014 03:52pm)cjfp Wrote:  As there seems to be a few wiring gurus on here, can any of you work out a way to get the rear lights to come on with the front DRLS?
hmmm Confused never really thought about it Rolling Eyes
I see where you are coming from but the quick answer is no - tracing back the rear lights wires could be fun in itself - never mind then trying to get them to integrate with the DRLs circuit which has an added built in feature that when the parkers go on - they dim - don't want that happening on the rear Exclamation
I think alot of understanding of the Evoque can be learned from Topix - something I'm going to subscribe to just as soon as I've all my bits for my Dynamic conversion project Smile
25-03-2014 04:02pm
Westy

Does anyone know what the bulb rating is on the evoque with factory fitted xenon headlamps, i have the halogens and would like to fit a xenon kit but want to make sure they don't look like the cars that are overpowered and look blue.

Are they 8000k or 6000k or similar?

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
30-03-2014 10:15pm
dkearns

Xenons are 35w and I'd go no higher than 6000k or you'll be going into 'blue light'
30-03-2014 10:21pm
bangsters

dkearns, any pics of how you installed the harness? Do you need to modify anything outside of the headlights? I want stock engine bay if possible.

Thanks

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
27-10-2014 11:07pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
polkrs

aaaaa
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2015 04:17am by polkrs.)
28-12-2014 07:31pm
Kugaman1

Morning Polkrs.

Youve got further than I have!

Ive bought the HID headlights and a relay harness. However, I dont want to have to run a live for the relay all the way from the battery through to the headlamp unit.

Any idea where I can get a live from? If I can get a permanent live from within the headlamp unit itself which does not trigger a fault, my problems will be solved!

In essence, Im looking for a permanent live to feed the relay which will prevent the car from thinking theres a problem and shutting down the HID whenever I turn the headlights on. The DRL aspect all works fine, its just the main lights with the problem. They come on for a second then go off. Apparently this is due to the ECU sensing the sudden current draw and thinking theres a problem. - the solution is a relay which provides a live from elsewhere.

I did send a PM to Roverology and DKearns who both claim to have done this, but no responses.

Any thoughts?
(This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 09:57am by Kugaman1.)
29-12-2014 09:37am
ROVEROLOGY

The conversion I referred to in previous post, was done by Drew's Garage.........
29-12-2014 07:24pm