Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
To Evoque, or not to Evoque... Just can't decide...
chrisp2u

To Evoque, or not to Evoque... Just can't decide...

Hey everyone,
New to the forum, though I've been clicking around here and elsewhere for the past few weeks researching this vehicle quite a bit. I finally test drove one last week, and generally liked it overall. However, I do have a couple issues that I was hoping to get some insight into from existing owners (apologies if this has all been covered before... I searched around as best I could).

1. The particular dealer I'm working with in our area is apparently ONLY ordering models with the climate package (given the typical Winter environment, is prob not a bad idea). When test driving the Evoque, I found the wires in the windshield to be be somewhat distracting at times. I've also read that they can be even moreso at night with oncoming traffic. While sitting in a model which was in their dimly lit showroom, I noticed that the ceiling lights did seem to diffuse a bit oddly through the wires. Being Summer time, I really don't have a chance to drive it at night to know for sure, since the dealer closes before it gets dark this time of year.

Has anyone found this to be distracting/annoying to the point that you wish you didn't have the climate package?

2. Roof rack/carrying options and the load capacity. I see that LR recommends a 165 pound max for their rack option (which the dealer quoted me $1200 for... just the rails installed... no corssbars... no thanks). I'm looking to carry up to 3 (possibly 4) bikes on top... which may exceed the 165 limit LR suggests. I guess my question would be, is that limit only for their factory rack ralis/cross bars, or for anything on the roof? With the full glass panoramic, I'm guessing there may be some type of max limit for the roof itself, but the dealer doesn't seem to know otherwise.

I do currently have a Yakima rack (which is rated at something like 225 pounds of load capacity) which I'm hoping can be fitted to the Evoque if I decide to go with it. It would be nice not to have to spend more. Yakima has told me that they're currently working on fitting the Evoque with their different products. (Also, for any other Yakima user/owners, if you contact them here, they will make it more of a priority... http://yakima.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/NoFit/ ).

It seems most people appear to be going with the a trailer hitch bike carrier. I'm not too fond of that option... partly because I'd have to have the trailer hitch option added, and also because it's a bit clunky hanging off the back IMO. I like locking them down on top.

Anyone know of any roof weight limits and/or fit any yakima stuff with or without the factory rails?

These are pretty much the only things that make me hesitant about this purchase. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
28-07-2012 10:56pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
invoke

RE: To Evoque, or not to Evoque... Just can't decide...

Why don't you look for something with horsepower !

Black/Black Dynamic (with missing dynamic button), 4dr and a tailgate, stadium seats with butt warmer, extra large moon roof for kids clustrophobia, velcro surface card board floor mats, factory installed humming accessory and the famous "Wind noise-rattle package".
29-07-2012 04:55am
JASEvoque

(28-07-2012 10:56pm)chrisp2u Wrote:  Hey everyone,
New to the forum, though I've been clicking around here and elsewhere for the past few weeks researching this vehicle quite a bit. I finally test drove one last week, and generally liked it overall. However, I do have a couple issues that I was hoping to get some insight into from existing owners (apologies if this has all been covered before... I searched around as best I could).

1. The particular dealer I'm working with in our area is apparently ONLY ordering models with the climate package (given the typical Winter environment, is prob not a bad idea). When test driving the Evoque, I found the wires in the windshield to be be somewhat distracting at times. I've also read that they can be even moreso at night with oncoming traffic. While sitting in a model which was in their dimly lit showroom, I noticed that the ceiling lights did seem to diffuse a bit oddly through the wires. Being Summer time, I really don't have a chance to drive it at night to know for sure, since the dealer closes before it gets dark this time of year.

Has anyone found this to be distracting/annoying to the point that you wish you didn't have the climate package?

Thanks,
Chris

While I have not yet received my Evoque, I have an '04 Disco II HSE and had a '10 Sport -- I was never bothered by the heating element in either car. It was a bit bizarre for the first few days way back when, but I don't even notice them anymore. It is definitely not something that should be a breaking point -- in fact, you will love it during the first frost, and all of winter...
29-07-2012 05:01am
cousin.it

(28-07-2012 10:56pm)chrisp2u Wrote:  1. Has anyone found this to be distracting/annoying to the point that you wish you didn't have the climate package?

2. Roof rack/carrying options

1 - I haven't found the windshield heater to be distracting at all so far and I've had my Evoque almost 3 months now.

2 - Are you really set on a roof installation for a bike rack? I've seen some really decent looking pictures in the forums of racks people have installed using the towbar hitch, but then you have to deal with the backup sensors possibly irritating you and not providing much help.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Few-pics-...0#pid55060

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...l#post3045
29-07-2012 06:24am
chrisp2u

(29-07-2012 06:24am)cousin.it Wrote:  1 - I haven't found the windshield heater to be distracting at all so far and I've had my Evoque almost 3 months now.

2 - Are you really set on a roof installation for a bike rack? I've seen some really decent looking pictures in the forums of racks people have installed using the towbar hitch, but then you have to deal with the backup sensors possibly irritating you and not providing much help.

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Few-pics-...0#pid55060

http://www.evoqueforums.net/forum/evoque...l#post3045

Thanks for the input so far, everyone.

Yeah, not a fan of the hitch style bike carriers for a number of reasons. Plus, as mentioned, I'd like to use (as much of) what I already have, if I can. The hassle of having to remove it when not using it is not appealing either. Otherwise, it would most certainly be destroyed when my wife forgets that its on there and backs it into something.
---
c
(This post was last modified: 29-07-2012 02:42pm by chrisp2u.)
29-07-2012 02:40pm
mark_n

The wires in the windscreen are just not an issue. As for the bike rack, the rails are relatively expensive and tricky to fit and get looking right, though 1200 US is over the top. They enhance the appearance, IMHO.

The weigh limit is 75kg, 165 pounds in old money. Will 4 bikes really exceed that? At the end of the day, the whole thing is attached to the roof with 2 bolts at each corner and they have to be able to withstand both the static weight and the additional load imposed by accelerating, braking and cornering. Your bikes will also raise the centre of gravity by having the equivalent of an average sized McDonalds glutton sitting on the roof.

So if your bikes are really that heavy, the roof carrying option may not work for you. Keep in mind that if you have overloaded the rails and the whole lot takes leave of the car, your liability claim against LR won't carry much weight (excuse the pun)...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
29-07-2012 03:54pm
cousin.it

(29-07-2012 02:40pm)chrisp2u Wrote:  Otherwise, it would most certainly be destroyed when my wife forgets that its on there and backs it into something.
I saw one of the latest Liberty Mutual commercials on TV this morning and thought of you about 45 seconds in... and it's interesting that while it isn't an Evoque there is a rear air foil that comes off the car.

I take it your wife doesn't read this forum? Laughing

29-07-2012 06:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I agree the windscreen heater wires are not normally any problem, however at night when they are on (and the various Land Rovers I have owned with heated screens are no different) there is a slight distortion of what you see through the glass due to the heating.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
29-07-2012 06:35pm
PhilSkill

Frankly i'd forgotten it has a heated windscreen since its summer here, so no problem!

Makes sense to reuse what you have but i'd prefer the rear mounted option as wont be easy putting stuff on top and you should be able to get a removable towbar for less than the cost of those rails!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-07-2012 11:10pm
chrisp2u

(29-07-2012 06:26pm)cousin.it Wrote:  I saw one of the latest Liberty Mutual commercials on TV this morning and thought of you about 45 seconds in... and it's interesting that while it isn't an Evoque there is a rear air foil that comes off the car.

I take it your wife doesn't read this forum? Laughing

Ha... That was pretty good. Yeah, she doesn't read this forum... Or any other that I'm aware of. However, she is a pretty big fan of the evoque, and has been a proponent when I've expressed doubts about it. Wink
---
c

(29-07-2012 11:10pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Frankly i'd forgotten it has a heated windscreen since its summer here, so no problem!

Makes sense to reuse what you have but i'd prefer the rear mounted option as wont be easy putting stuff on top and you should be able to get a removable towbar for less than the cost of those rails!

The Evoque would be the shortest vehicle I've owned and I've had a roof rack on them all. So, not too worried. Even on the taller vehicles I've owned I've never found it to be too much trouble... Just step up on the door sill with the door open.

I'm working on the dealer to throw in the rails (no cross bars), which they don't seem too hot on so far... Or a decent discount at minimum. We shall see.

Thanks again everyone for input, and entertainment.
---
c
(This post was last modified: 30-07-2012 01:46pm by chrisp2u.)
30-07-2012 01:39pm