Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Will my Evoque send me to jail?!
slee18

RE: Will my Evoque send me to jail?!

We Cali people are at both end of the spectrum. I won't buy a v8 suv but I own a V8 camaro. Diesel in Cali is sometime more expensive then 91 octane gas.

Our pickup require a urea to reduce particles in diesels that are supposed to last 3k miles but getting reports of maybe 1800 miles and the stuff isn't cheap. We are just a bunch of greenies here
09-01-2012 04:40am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
david.smith

(08-01-2012 11:59pm)ytshome Wrote:  Is this a wind-up thread? Come on just admit it!

not a wind-up, mate. I'm dead serious. I spent a lot of money on my Evoque and the idea that I can't take it with me to the States really bothers me. If I could pull 50mpg out of my Evoque (I know it's not real world, but in theory), that would be about 40 US mpg. The US non-diesel models get about 22 mpg. So 22 vs. 40. hmmm. That's nearly double. it's an issue.
09-01-2012 09:51pm
mark_n

Yes, but you don't have a cat in hell's chance of getting 40 mpg or anything like it. Look at the real world MPG thread and you'll see the diesels are not doing double the petrol.

Sell the thing, go and enjoy San Diego and buy another when you come back.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
09-01-2012 10:00pm
PhilSkill

Yep Marks right, the grief you'll go through getting it transported, the heartache because its been damaged in transit (and it will be), the problems caused because the fuel is different... then in a year you go through it all again to get home! just isn't worth it, just trade it back, and go enjoy your assignment and the sun and maybe get a convertible, (remember to order an Evoque in time for your return though!)

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
10-01-2012 01:09am
bogstomper

I'm with Mark and Phil - feels like a lot of hassle for the benefit. See it as an opportunity to drive something American for a bit and look forward to coming back to the latest RR(E) as and when that might be...
10-01-2012 01:11am
The Valeter

(10-01-2012 01:09am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Yep Marks right, the grief you'll go through getting it transported, the heartache because its been damaged in transit (and it will be), the problems caused because the fuel is different... then in a year you go through it all again to get home! just isn't worth it, just trade it back, and go enjoy your assignment and the sun and maybe get a convertible, (remember to order an Evoque in time for your return though!)

sounds like very good advice to be honest!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
10-01-2012 01:45am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

+1 - rent a wreck for your spell in the States and contact James at LPR to get you in the queue for another Evoque for when you get home. One other thing you forget about your Evoque if you take it to the USA - they have this strange habit of sticking the steering wheel on the wrong side and RHD cars can be difficult to insure. Overseas drivers can have problems getting insurance in some states too where insurance comes as part of your annual road taxes - means you might have to sit a driving test before you can take to the roads otherwise you will be uninsured

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
10-01-2012 02:41am
DustinDep

You actually wont be able to import it as you cant import a RHD drive car to the US unless it is older than 25 years because it is then considered a classsic
10-01-2012 02:04pm
GibEvoque

The other consideration here is how long can you run it on original plates before you need to officially import it. In some places you can get away with 6 months to a year before you need to import, otherwise you may be able to get away with leaving it on original registration, and just get your insurance co to isue green card.

2012 RRE TD4 Auto Dynamic, Fuji white, Shadow Chrome alloys, Panoramic contrast roof
1983 Mk1 Golf Cabriolet 1.8 Gli - Plaything
2009 Fiat Bravo 1.4 T-jet Dyamic - Gone
1994 306 XSi - Long Gone
1985 Mk2 1.3 Golf CL - First LoveWink
10-01-2012 02:08pm
desids

You will not be able to bring it into the US. If that exact model (and engine) is not sold by the manufacturer in the US, then it does not meet federal safety and emission standards. I have tried importing a few vehicles over the years and got one in, and the rest did not. You will not be allowed to pick it up from the port - period. I even went so far as planning to tear down a non-US motorcycle and send it in as parts - I was told by the government if they found out, they would crush all of the parts and put me in jail.

If you really wanted to bring it into the US, you have to do one of two things:

1. Get the car "federalized" which means seatbelt buzzers, door beams, emission standards, all kinds of equipment even down to lighting and type of window glass. You would have to prove that the vehicle meets all of the same crash tests as the Evoques imported to the US. Once you have it all in place, the government has to test it all and approve. This is most likely around $5000 US to do, and still does not guarantee you will get it approved. It will cost a few thousand as well to ship each way.

2. Import the car as a "display only" vehicle. This is for rare show cars, and they are never allowed to be driven on the road. Obviously, this would not work for you.

So, in reality, it would make no sense whatsoever. Drop the order, enjoy your time in San Diego with a temporary car for a year, go back home in a year and pick up a new one at the dealer lot since they won't be as rare to get then.
10-01-2012 09:04pm